What's new

Mirror Screen to Amazon FireTV

jdtimothy

With today's new update on the FireTV, it is now possible to mirror your devices to the FireTV using miracast technology. The quality is amazing. My Nexus 5 pairs up quickly and mirrors perfectly.

My surface pro 3 also sees the fire tv and tries to connect as a wireless display. It even installs a driver. But it fails to connect.

Does anyone know a way to make this work?

I didn't even know there was an update. It hasn't reached my Fire TV yet. Are you in the US? As soon as I get it, I will test it out.

OPTiK

I ordered a FireTV because it supports miracast and it's cheaper than the Microsoft version. I would suggest trying to find and post in a FireTV help forum. The device is pretty new so that might be the best place to look. Hopefully this gets figured out since I'll be using the FireTV for my SP3!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I ordered a FireTV because it supports miracast and it's cheaper than the Microsoft version. I would suggest trying to find and post in a FireTV help forum. The device is pretty new so that might be the best place to look. Hopefully this gets figured out since I'll be using the FireTV for my SP3!
You mean you ordered a Fire TV Stick? $39? A Fire TV is $99.

OP
J

jdtimothy

Good idea, but I bet the fix will have to come from microsoft, it is probably a driver problem with the Marvell avaster that makes it incompatible. The surface has had multiple problems with miracast in the past because of Marvell drivers.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Many of the Miracast receiver issues come from the fact that the ODM will Whitelist devices that they have verified will work with the receiver and if the device isn't on the list it will error out....

bluegrass

Just ordered the FireTV Stick. I think it must be replacing the FireTV since they both do the same thing. It won't be shipping until January though. Although I have a Neius wireless remote for connecting my Surface to my projector, I like the idea of this little unit to attach my Surface to any TV with a HDMI input. I use a Windows phone so I won't be using it to work with the stick anytime soon I suspect.

Since I'm an Amazon Prime subscriber the FIreTV Stick should make it pretty nice to use for watching movies and shows. I don't intend to subscribe to Netflix or any of the pay stuff. I just ditched Direct TV & have gone terrestrial for network TV viewing. That stuff is getting to damn expensive.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just ordered the FireTV Stick. I think it must be replacing the FireTV since they both do the same thing. It won't be shipping until January though. Although I have a Neius wireless remote for connecting my Surface to my projector, I like the idea of this little unit to attach my Surface to any TV with a HDMI input. I use a Windows phone so I won't be using it to work with the stick anytime soon I suspect.

Since I'm an Amazon Prime subscriber the FIreTV Stick should make it pretty nice to use for watching movies and shows. I don't intend to subscribe to Netflix or any of the pay stuff. I just ditched Direct TV & have gone terrestrial for network TV viewing. That stuff is getting to damn expensive.
The Fire TV is quad core CPU, has game controllers and will run higher end gams than the Stick in addition is has more storage for precacheing content.

Last edited:

megatronium

The Fire TV is quad core CPU, has game controllers and will run higher end gams than the Stick in addition is has more storage for precashing content.
Correct. I have the Fire TV - that's for the bedroom for me. I have Amazon Prime and ordered a Fire TV stick for downstairs where the PS4 is.