What's new

mlb.tv on Surface RT

thisispants

Hi, I have a bit of an issue.
I own a Surface RT. On the whole I'm happy with the Surface, however it does get a bit buggy at times requiring a restart, which is annoying.

However, I want to subscribe to the mlb.tv subscription service. Unfortunately it looks like the mlb won't be making a windows store mlb.tv app, so if I want to view the baseball on the surface I'll have to do it via internet explorer.

Looking at the requirements for watching live streaming baseball on the internet, it states you need to install a mlb plug in.

My long winded question is, does the metro internet explorer support the use of plug ins?

Does anyone know how I'll be able to view streaming HD baseball on the surface?

Cheers!

vtadave

This is an outrage really. In the meantime, the Ipad and IPhone have great MLB apps and the Phone and Surface have nothing.

J515OP

Super Moderator
This is an outrage really. In the meantime, the Ipad and IPhone have great MLB apps and the Phone and Surface have nothing.

Be outraged with MLB, they are the ones not making the product. Also do you know how long it took for them to get things working for Android? I can't speak for iOS but I can tell you Android users were in the same position as RT users for before the app became decent. If you want it to change don't blame the Surface but contact MLB and express your interest in them providing an app you can use. The more people demanding an app the more likely they are to make one.

vtadave

MLB is all about making money, so isn't it safe to assume that they didn't think there was money to be made by not making the app for the Phone / Windows 8? Microsoft really should have done a better job ensuring that the apps that people want were made available.

J515OP

Super Moderator
MLB is all about making money, so isn't it safe to assume that they didn't think there was money to be made by not making the app for the Phone / Windows 8? Microsoft really should have done a better job ensuring that the apps that people want were made available.

How does MS ensure that a third party that they don't own or control makes apps people want? That isn't MS's role or responsibility. As a fan and customer of MLB you need to let them know you want them to provide a specific product or service to you and that you are even willing to pay for it. This is going to be the quickest and easiest way to get what you want. Use social media and online petition tools (http://www.change.org/guides/old-how-an-online-petition-works) to create pressure for the apps you want.

asifsid

Hi, I have a bit of an issue.
I own a Surface RT. On the whole I'm happy with the Surface, however it does get a bit buggy at times requiring a restart, which is annoying.

However, I want to subscribe to the mlb.tv subscription service. Unfortunately it looks like the mlb won't be making a windows store mlb.tv app, so if I want to view the baseball on the surface I'll have to do it via internet explorer.

Looking at the requirements for watching live streaming baseball on the internet, it states you need to install a mlb plug in.

My long winded question is, does the metro internet explorer support the use of plug ins?

Does anyone know how I'll be able to view streaming HD baseball on the surface?

Cheers!

Even though there is no support for plugins in IE10, the mlb site says it requires Flash 10 (or above). IE10 has built in support for Flash 11, so technically it should work. The recent update seem to have set the "ActiveX Filtering" option set by default on my RT though. So if you see that the site says "Need Flash support", just view it on Desktop and you should see a "banned" icon next to the address bar. You can click on the icon to enable flash for the site. Once it is set for the desktop mode, it enables it also in metro browser for the same site. You can also disable to setting for all sites from the setting icon on the right top corner.

Michfan

Even though there is no support for plugins in IE10, the mlb site says it requires Flash 10 (or above). IE10 has built in support for Flash 11, so technically it should work. The recent update seem to have set the "ActiveX Filtering" option set by default on my RT though. So if you see that the site says "Need Flash support", just view it on Desktop and you should see a "banned" icon next to the address bar. You can click on the icon to enable flash for the site. Once it is set for the desktop mode, it enables it also in metro browser for the same site. You can also disable to setting for all sites from the setting icon on the right top corner.
Thanks for this tip! I can now watch NHL Game Center on my Surface. Now I just need to figure out ReadyTalk meetings...