What's new

More Bad News on the Surface "PowerCover"

jrhillma

That guy is a rip-off for what he's charging. I did the same thing myself and it works flawlessly for much cheaper.

Anker Astro Pro 2: (20,000 mAh charger)
Amazon.com: Anker® Astro Pro2 20000mAh Multi-Voltage (5V 12V 16V 19V) External Battery Charger for iPad Air, Mini, iPhone 5S, 5C, 5, 4S, Samsung Galaxy S5, S4, S3, Note 3, HP, Dell, Acer, Asus, Toshiba Netbooks, Notebooks and many other devices (Appl

AC adapter for the connector piece: (this tip is the perfect size for the output of the anker astro pro 2)
18V AC Adapter for JBL on Stage II iPod Docking Charger Power Supply Cord | eBay

and a cheap knockoff of a surface charger for the magnetic tip: (need to splice this to the jbl tip)
P4PM New DC 12V 2A Car Charger Power Supply Adapter for Microsoft Surface RT | eBay

How long does that power your SP2?

kkwst2

Definitely buy the power pack off Amazon. You can get the Anker or I bought the exact one he sells (Power Castle) for around $75. But I bought his car charger with adapter which was on "sale" for $35 with free shipping. Worth the extra $20 for me to save some time fooling with cables.

kkwst2

How long does that power your SP2?

I have the original Pro but it almost doubles my time to around 8 hours.

Something to keep in mind...if you're like me and you have your power plan set up to never sleep when plugged in, you'll kill your battery if you leave it plugged into the external battery. I create a separate plan called "External Battery" where I have the battery and plugged in settings the same.

Last edited:

surfpro

It is coming, unless something drastic has happened in the last week I can't say much more than that...

The Microsoft Store in Mississauga Ontario let me pre-order the Powercover for $25 at the store yesterday. They do not know the availability date though. Typical!!!!

The Microsoft Store in Mississauga Ontario let me pre-order the Powercover for $25 at the store yesterday. They do not know the availability date though. Typical!!!!

$25? Are you sure they didn't sell you a power ranger by mistake? :)

EDIT: thanks jnjroach, so just an initial down payment. Fail joke.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The $25 is pretty standard for any MS Store that is allowing preorders, I did the same for the Samsung Series 7 and the Nokia Lumia 900...

kkwst2

They have similar cables now on Amazon that are much cheaper (less than $10 shipped). Not sure of quality, but there are a couple good reviews on one of them. I got the mikegyver one with the car charger for $35 and it works well. If I had seen the Amazon one I probably would have tried that.