What's new

Most unusual applications you've run on your surface?

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last night I was running Chauvet ShowXpress software on my Surface pro 3. Show Express is software to control DMX lighting fixures . My husband runs a high-end mobile disco and all his lights are computer controlled. Usually we use a Asus touchscreen laptop for this purpose but last night, as I was just setting up some new programs for some new lighting fixtures I ran the software from my surface. It's so brilliant that I have the freedom to do this. You can also control the software via an iOS or android app, but it requires a PC or Mac running the REAL software to be present. So I had him using his android tablet and phone controlling the lights via my SP3..

I'm sure some here run some unusual applications on their Surface.. What do YOU use YOURS for?

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hold on, hold on, HOLD ON.

Can we PLEASE get some more details on high-end mobile disco?!
LOL.

It's not necessarily a BIG RIG or a mobile night club like some guys have, I just mean it's high quality kit, it looks very nice and elegant (as he does mainly weddings) and all the lights are controlled by computer and we can sync the lighting with the music - either by pre-programming light shows to tracks or having the light jockey (aka ME) press buttons and slide sliders at appropriate times. A lot of mobile DJ's (at least where we live) will have the lights running in an automatic or sound to light mode, we aim for a different market (hence high end..).

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's my SP3 working the lights at tonight's disco...

Attachments

• WP_20141011_19_17_03_Raw.jpg
    WP_20141011_19_17_03_Raw.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 629

Maximus3D

Here are a few of the not so common applications i have installed and using on my Surface Pro 3. I have others but these are just some examples.. and yep, i'm not only a photographer but also a 3D artist, illustrator and more which is why i require a bunch of odd tools installed.

Pixologic Zbrush for digital claysculpting
http://pixologic.com/

The Foundry Modo for 3D modeling, animation and rendering
http://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/modo/

Maxon Cinema 4D for 3D modeling, animation and rendering
http://www.maxon.net/products/cinema-4d-studio/

/ Magnus

Sounds awesome :) I guess the most unusual software on my Surface is also related to music, but it just relates to Ableton for creating music, Virtual DJ for mixing it and Audacity for modifying it!

When your mixing do you have external speakers and amp set up , or do U use USB speakers

I was looking at getting like a numark or pioneer controller and use it to control virtual dj as U have more freedom like having mini cdjs

OP
Moonsurface

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
When your mixing do you have external speakers and amp set up , or do U use USB speakers

I was looking at getting like a numark or pioneer controller and use it to control virtual dj as U have more freedom like having mini cdjs

MY husband uses Virtual DJ or serato with a Pioneer SX to control his music. Loves it.