What's new

Mount Micro SDXC Card

stlbud

It seems, to me at least, that mounting an SD card as "removable" media rather than as a drive seems arbitrary. Why is it that a USB Flash "stick" is mounted as a drive (most of the time) and a card mounted as removable? Many people use the two interchangeably. If we were able to mount the Micro SDXC card as a drive, all the problems with trying to make the card part of a library would, it seems, go away. On the other hand, if we were able to add removable media to a library, the problem would also go away. As a side note, I have a stick that windows thinks is a CD.

How is this sort of thing managed? Is there some way to change the mounting method? Is it determined at format time? Is it a function of the drivers?

ArnoldC

Use mounted volumes, a feature Microsoft borrowed from Unix :D I've been using it since XP days.

Mounting a volume is not a guarantee that it will be included in the Libraries, so that it will be indexed by the Windows Index Service. It is a two-step process.

1. Mount the device as a mounted volume. Use GUI if you're not comfortable with command line.
2. Add folders (from the mounted volume) to your Libraries
3. Manual re-index is required for some applications, notoriously, Photo App.

OP
S

stlbud

Use mounted volumes, a feature Microsoft borrowed from Unix :D I've been using it since XP days.

Mounting a volume is not a guarantee that it will be included in the Libraries, so that it will be indexed by the Windows Index Service. It is a two-step process.

1. Mount the device as a mounted volume. Use GUI if you're not comfortable with command line.
2. Add folders (from the mounted volume) to your Libraries
3. Manual re-index is required for some applications, notoriously, Photo App.

you're right. it should be better. it should be automatic and should work universally. its my understanding windows will automatically index files from "fixed" media even if it is usb. thus the question. can windows be fooled into looking at the micro sd as fixed media? Microsoft should stop claiming the micro sd card can be used to extend storage. it's really only useful to sneaker-net files or to download photos.

p.s. I've been doing it since it was only available in unix :wink:

Last edited:

ArnoldC

You have to fool it... The popular one is to change the location of the My Photos, My Videos, My Music to point to the SD card.

I spent 13 years of my life with Unix, I still use vi on my Windows 8 notebook. He he he

TeknoBlast

Instead of mounting the card, I did a virtual hard disc. It's a longer process to set up, but it works as it should and indexes properly. I followed these intructions and it hasnt failed me once.

Microsoft Surface

OP
S

stlbud

Instead of mounting the card, I did a virtual hard disc. It's a longer process to set up, but it works as it should and indexes properly. I followed these intructions and it hasnt failed me once.

Microsoft Surface

So, I tried this last night. It seems to be working. I think I've finally found a solution to this mess of using the SD card to expand storage on my Surface RT. Will post again in a few days.

Thanks.

Last edited:

bosamar

Microsoft Surface

I printed these directions out a few weeks ago but never got around to trying them. BTY, other cool info too. Thanks Darth.

souldier

I was able to get my micro sdxc to serve as my pictures folder, but it will not show up in my photos app. I was lazy to figure out how to get it to work. I found an awesome app called Gallery HD which is a better way to view all your photos as it gathers all your photos automatically (even from our micro sd card) and you can browse by folder if you want as well. Try out the app!

ArnoldC

Personally, Gallery HD sucks. I have a thread on why it is so. To each his own.

Photos, videos, music files must be indexed before they can be used by the Modern UI applications. We've beaten that issue a lot here. Check the how to section and pick your poison. I personally use mounted volumes, since XP days.