MS is doing it wrong again!

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface General Discussion' started by Combat_Chuck, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Combat_Chuck

Combat_Chuck New Member

I was one of the apparently few Zune fans out there, mine seemed to do it's job just fine and I even upgraded to the Zune HD when it came out, but it always bothered me how MS tried to directly compete with apple using products that were a bit different.

I don't think MS should be saying "Check out OUR tablet, it's cooler than an iPad". It seems to be different enough that they should be advertising it as a touchscreen laptop that you can use as a tablet. I think more people would be impressed and intrigued by that. So far all I've heard from non-tech people is how this is the "zune of tablets". If people think it's basically the same thing as an iPad they probably aren't going to buy it since their ipads work just fine for them. Unless they just hate people that worship apple like I do

2. Ollie

Ollie New Member

I use a Zune everyday.

This tablet could be huge. I'm not an iHater or anything, but using a Windows box paired with an iPad just doesn't cut it. And as much as I love Android the Android tablets don't mesh that great either.

I want a seamless transition from laptop to tablet and I hope Windows can provide that.

3. Combat_Chuck

Combat_Chuck New Member

I agree that this "tablet" looks very cool, but my point is that so far its being represented as Microsoft's answer to the iPad, when it's more like a touchscreen laptop.

4. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

They did mention it's much more than just a tablet. The tech blogs are failing miserably on this one. It is exactly as you say, more like a touchscreen laptop

5. Ben_J_H

Ben_J_H New Member

IOS and all other OS's can live in peace and harmony ya know?

6. Harlita

Harlita New Member

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  7. Sparky7474

Sparky7474 New Member

Keep in mind people, this really hasn't been advertised yet to the public, just the techies who know about this and follow Microsoft. When this become advertised to the public, I think it will be big.

8. J515OP

J515OP Super Moderator

My Device:
    RT
    Good point to keep in mind the general public is probably still totally unaware of this. My very first thoughts were wow, this is a great replacement for Macbook Airs and similar thin and light laptops. MS is actually touting the x86 Surface as comparable to ultra books. I think this is going to hugely change that market and it happens to also be a tablet.

On one hand you had Android blurring the line between tablets and phones and now you have MS attacking from the other side and blurring the line between PCs and tablets. It will be interesting to see how MS approaches the general public with marketing this but I am thinking they will take the PC/tablet route emphasizing Windows 8 as a real PC OS than try and promote Surface (RT or x86) as just another tablet.

I for one can't wait to be able to replace my laptop with something like this.

9. guidot

guidot <span style="font-weight:bold; color: #cb194b;">Ad Staff Member

As long as they attack with advertisements such as the Surface Youtube video, I think they will see a good flock of young people.

10. JobsiteFish

JobsiteFish Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Besides advertising to the general public they should be thinking about promoting their product at the business level. Many companies already run on their software, this is kind of like an open door in this market.

11. fosking

fosking Member

I couldn't agree more. Who wouldn't want a whole OS in tablet form lol.
    In a few months we wont be able to turn on the tv, open a newspaper or watch YouTube vids without this being in our faces 100% of the time.

12. polylogic

polylogic New Member