What's new

MS told me that anything other than 8.1 core is not recommended

ajharper

I just got off a chat session with MS as a result of my battery drain issue after installing Enterprise (see my original thread). Long story short, they said the developers are currently testing the compatibility of the other OS on the Surface 3 to determine if there might be issues that would arise. That is the main reason why it is not yet recommended. So, I guess for now (unless someone reports something different) the Surface 3 won't work in an Active Directory environment since Core can't be bound to a domain.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just got off a chat session with MS as a result of my battery drain issue after installing Enterprise (see my original thread). Long story short, they said the developers are currently testing the compatibility of the other OS on the Surface 3 to determine if there might be issues that would arise. That is the main reason why it is not yet recommended. So, I guess for now (unless someone reports something different) the Surface 3 won't work in an Active Directory environment since Core can't be bound to a domain.
Well, authorized resellers such as CDW for example and many others have the Business version for sale with Pro installed.

I have a Pro Pack for mine but haven't installed it yet.

OP
A

ajharper

I'm just relaying what MS told me. I think it should be more than capable of running Pro or Enterprise according to MS's specs for the OS. But I'm seeing a massive battery drain running Enterprise (15% an hour when in sleep). All I see on CDW is the Surface Pro 3 running Professional. I don't see any Surface 3 running Professional. I don't know if it's a driver issue, patch issue, etc. Not sure what I'm going to do. Re-image and try to install patches selectively? Downgrade to Core? Not how I wanted to spend my day off.

netuser

I'm just relaying what MS told me. I think it should be more than capable of running Pro or Enterprise according to MS's specs for the OS. But I'm seeing a massive battery drain running Enterprise (15% an hour when in sleep). All I see on CDW is the Surface Pro 3 running Professional. I don't see any Surface 3 running Professional. I don't know if it's a driver issue, patch issue, etc. Not sure what I'm going to do. Re-image and try to install patches selectively? Downgrade to Core? Not how I wanted to spend my day off.

Yes, CDW has it with 8.1 Pro installed. Their search is not that great. You probably will not find it unless you know to search for Surface Atom.

http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/resu...sscat=&b=&p=&ctlgfilter=&searchscope=all&sr=1

You may have some issues installing an OS from scratch because I don't see drivers for the Surface 3 posted by Microsoft yet.
Drivers automatically installed via Windows Update may not be ideal.
The power settings may need to be tweaked if you install a custom image. Look at the power settings configured in the factory OS and try to recreate them.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You spoke to consumer support and that It's the answer that they are trained to give. You also bought the consumer version of the Surface 3. I know Enterprise will run on it as we demo'd how to do it using the MDT at Ignite this week.

netuser

You spoke to consumer support and that It's the answer that they are trained to give. You also bought the consumer version of the Surface 3. I know Enterprise will run on it as we demo'd how to do it using the MDT at Ignite this week.

Interesting. Where do you get the Surface 3 drivers needed to deploy via MDT?

OP
A

ajharper

It runs. It just drains the battery (in my particular case) at the rate of 15% an hour in sleep mode. I'm using the official driver pack that MS just released so I'm wondering if it's a patch issue. After installing it, I had to download over 5GB of patches since it was a base 8.1 ISO I used. I may re-image and see how it behaves before installing any patches.

netuser

Doing deployment with docks would be kind of clunky and expensive.
Will PXE booting work with the USB Ethernet adapter?

$_1.JPG

OP
A

ajharper

What's the difference between Consumer and Business version of Surface 3?