What's new

MUI IE vs Chrome Performance

benjitek

I don't mind chrome and it's all I used before. I never liked IE but in all fairness I think the last time I used IE was on IE 8.

IE has come a long way and it's actually not bad now. Maybe MS should look into renaming it as IE's name is tarnished, in my opinion, by the rather horrible previous releases..
It boils down to preference -- choice is good ;-)

benjitek

...I'll try tomorrow and see how it fares with battery life.
I've not read using one mode vs. the other has an effect on battery life -- I believe the issue is present in Chrome for Windows in general. Regardless, we'll likely see a fix soon and it'll all be history... =)

gdir

Thanks citanic, that's an interesting comparison! Which Chrome version did you used? The stable 36 or 37 (released yesterday) or a newer beta or dev release?

Do you remember which video players were used on both browsers in YouTube? The Flash player or the HTML 5 player?

My SP3 will hopefully arrive tomorrow. When I have some time at the weekend it would like to make some tests with the Intel Power Gadget myself. I would be interesting to see if Chrome's power consumption will improve as the work on the clock tick issue progresses.

gdir

Btw:
- The new stable Chrome 37 should support High-DPI displays out of the box. I can't test it myself, because I'm 1.5 releases ahead with Chrome 38 from the dev channel.
- According to bug reports all Chrome releases have currently no pen support, when Chrome is running in "Metro" mode. Pen support should work in desktop mode. Touch support should work in both modes. It can't test it yet because I haven't got my SP3 yet.
- I see some progress on the power consumption issue in the bug reports, but it doesn't seem to be fixed too soon.

Kris

I'm trying to give MUI IE a chance but so far its falling short. Has to be the default browser or it won't open up in MUI...WTF is that. So far I haven't found any extensions lie ABP or Youtube HD. I will keep trying it but so don't think I'm will ever switch to it.​

mitchellvii

The newest Chrome still needs a regedit hack to do hd properly.

I use Chrome because it is faster and looks better than IE. If I'm in a position where I will be in a power vacuum for a long time I'll use IE.

I think Chrome uses more juice because it runs as multiple instances of small things rather than one instance. Check your Task Manager when Chrome is running. There will be 8 or 9 instances.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hate apps that burn resources to give the illusion of speed. As a performance engineer I have a different perspective perhaps then the avg. user. Chrome is an abusive stinker.

phositadc

Ctitanic,

Can you run the test again using the new 64-bit version of Chrome (non-beta) that released this morning?

What does it look like with Firefox?

mitchellvii

Don't know if Desktop Chrome did this before, but I just noticed that you can swipe right to go back to the previous page as MUI IE does (but without the massive lag). Sweet, I love that feature. :)