What's new

Multi desktop App

mr.dj26

Hey guys,

As a former Mac user, I really love the SP3 and IMO its way better than the mac crap.
One thing I hate about the sp3 is that you cant switch between desktop app like you can do with metro app.
Anyway, a really nice feature I missed from the MAC is the multi desktops which make multi tasking very easy.

Check out this app, its really great and easy to use.

http://dexpot.de/

gdir

Multiple desktops are expected for Windows 9. I personally had never much use for them.

cemian

Yea me neither...if I don't use something why am I going to leave it open to waste my resources? Just because it looks cool and uber productive? :)
Thanks for the post tho mr.dj26...Just curious what do you use it for?

OP
M

mr.dj26

Yea me neither...if I don't use something why am I going to leave it open to waste my resources? Just because it looks cool and uber productive? :)
Thanks for the post tho mr.dj26...Just curious what do you use it for?

Hi there, thanks for your opinions.
Well, while using the mac, I got used to place each app in a desktop. So I used MS world in a desktop, chrome in a desktop, firefox(for java), and itunes in a desktop. Rather than minimizing or clicking on the taskbar every time you wanted to switch an app, it made switching really easy and very helpful when using multiple documents or apps.

I forgot to mention that on the mac I used swipe gestures on the track pad to switch desktops which is really the main point. Using this app you can customize each desktop to any key combination to switch desktops. Anyways, I have been using touchme gesture(track pad substitute) also and I have posted about it on this forums a while ago. I have customized dexpot to switch to the next desktop by swiping 5 fingers across the screen right or left.
I guess you have to use it know how its very helpful.

Thanks

bluegrass

I find unless you are connected to a large screen or multiple screens, having multiple apps open on the Surface screen is not practical because of how small the screen is. However, I can help you and others with the switching apps that are open. Hold down the Alt key and press the tab key to see and switch between open apps. That has been a standard that's been around in Windows for a long time.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
We had them in NT 4 Workstation but they weren't used and the concept went away as a native feature, they are rumored to return in Threshold, we'll know more on the 30th of September...

kundas1

instead of going down to the task bar to switch apps all you have to do is use the ALT + TAB keys and it switches fast and easily to the next app you want... not that hard at all and no need for multiple desktops which sound confusing if you ask me and waste of resources... ;)

rege0039

I like the idea of more gestures and have installed the touchme gesture and have looked at the desktop idea but I can't see how you would configure it to swap between the desktops as all I can see is a list of pre set options.

Any clues ? Or a set up file to share ?

Thanks.

malberttoo

instead of going down to the task bar to switch apps all you have to do is use the ALT + TAB keys and it switches fast and easily to the next app you want... not that hard at all and no need for multiple desktops which sound confusing if you ask me and waste of resources... ;)

Or Win+Tab...

Geek.Verve

When I started reading this thread, it sounded like MS had removed ALT+TAB from Windows 8, but it evidently still works. Whew.

Not sure what multiple desktops would add to that.