Multiple accounts driving me mad!

Discussion in 'Windows 8 Forum' started by kayzee, Apr 11, 2015.

1. kayzee

kayzee Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro
    Recently moved in with my girlfriend and am in the process of setting her up her own account on my Surface.

Now one of the first things I do when getting a new computer is disable the need for a password on boot... it took me a while to get to where I am now, in that her account now exists on boot, however only my account shows at first, until I hit a back arrow where the choice of logging into either ours shows up. Firstly I'd like to get to that stage straight away, why's that arrow stage there!? Secondly, I can't work out how to delete password authorisation for more than one account.

But... tl;dr how do I get it to show up both our accounts on boot, and not require a password? I have this set up on an old Window 7 PC and it was no problem at all!

2. leeshor

leeshor Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Try this, admin cmd prompt type netplwiz the uncheck the pw box and enter your pw twice for both accounts. OK and restart.

3. kayzee

kayzee Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro
    Okay tried that and on restart it just logged straight into my account without any choice at all (didn't ask for a password)

After, I can click on my username and select Ashleigh and then it pops up asking for her password... and if I press back (as in going back to my account) it asks for my password too!

4. leeshor

My Device:
    SPro4
    Try entering the wizard again and check the box this time for both and see what happens then restart and try the first method again. On a restart it should present you with 2 icons and eventually not ask for a password.

5. kayzee

kayzee Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro
    Check the box for both? There's only one box there to check...

Anyway, I did revert back to how it was originally and once again it only shows my log in, and asks for a password :(

6. leeshor

My Device:
    SPro4
    It sounds as if there is only one active account. When you bring up that wzard it should show both.

7. kayzee

kayzee Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro
    Sorry, the wizard does show both my account and Ashleigh's account (as well as two others, strangely) but what I meant is that there's only one check box at the top for using (or not using) passwords.

8. leeshor

My Device:
    SPro4
    That's strange. You should be able to click on the account and control one independently of the other

9. kayzee

kayzee Well-Known Member

My Device:
    SPro
    Okay this is what I get... when the box is unchecked I cannot click on anything; I can't even click on another username and it to be selected (i.e. go blue)

<screenshot removed for security>

When the box is checked I can click on any account and these are the options I'm presented with for changing the passwords...

• Password for example@hotmail.com - You cannot change the password for example @hotmail.com.
    • Password for HomeGroupUser$ - To change the password for HomeGroupUser$, click Reset Password.
    • Password for example@hotmail.com - You cannot change the password for inthegarage@hotmail.com.
    • Password for example@hotmail.com - To change your password, go to PC settings and select Users.
    <removed email addresses so bots could not harvest - please edit screenshot for your protection- Moods>