Multiple displays - identifying wrong monitor

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 3' started by helen, Jul 24, 2015.

1. helen

helen New Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Hopefully this will make sense... I have recently got a Surface Pro 3 and have set it up with a docking station and external monitor. I want to extend the displays so that I have the monitor on the left and the Surface on the right. The docking station is connected to the monitor with a Startech mini DP to HDMI adapter and HDMI cable.

I just cannot get the two monitors to work in the right order left to right. When I go to Screen Resolution to set up the multiple displays, it identifies the higher resolution monitor as the "Mobile PC Display" and vice versa. I cannot figure out how to reassign the identity numbers. This means the maximum resolution it will allow for the bigger monitor is 1680 x 1050 which is not correct. Even if I drag and drop the 1 and 2 screens on the Screen Resolution window so they are in a different order, the computer still thinks they are the other way round, so the cursor will not move correctly between the two.

I tried using a different monitor in case that was the problem, but it made no difference. I also tried using a mini DP to VGA adapter and VGA cable instead, but no change.

Any ideas? This is driving me crazy! Thank you.

2. helen

helen New Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Oh, and I also tried removing the docking station and connecting the SP3 directly to the monitor, but I still had the same problem.

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Administrator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    I would try a different cable first then a different adapter, if either of those don't fix the issue do a factory reset...

4. Cyb3rDud3

Cyb3rDud3 Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Mine did this as well, I just ignored the numbers and set the settings. It is weird how it is the wrong way around but hey I'm not looking into it much.