Music streaming airplay style

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Accessories' started by olidex9, Oct 19, 2014.

1. olidex9

olidex9 New Member

Is there any good answer to the question of why Microsoft is so focused on marketing a Miracast device with its very limited functionality, i.e. mirror screen, as opposed to the versatility of Apple TV or airport express? I am particularly interested in the music streaming capability of apples airplay feature, which allows music and video streaming from any IOS device to the receiving unit. Why is dlna not available on Windows phone? Am I the only one using my phone or tablet to stream music to my stereo? I own several Windows phone and a Surface pro 3, but still I have an iPad lying around for listening to music on my stereo.

Any good solutions for my usage scenario?

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Administrator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    Microsoft uses the Xbox One in this capacity within their Ecosystem. Personally I use a Bluetooth Speaker to stream music.

3. olidex9

olidex9 New Member

Blutooth could work in some cases, but has obvious limitations. I guess the Xbox One would do it, but it seems somewhat of an overkill to invest in Xbox One and having it turned on if only for listening to a few tracks.

I wonder why dlna isn't implemented system wide in the WP OS, especially now that Microsoft is implementing Miracast with its limited functionality. Is dlna very complicated or is it to protect Xbox One sales?

4. GreyFox7

GreyFox7 Super Moderator Staff Member

You can do it. I'm channeling Bela Karolyi here :)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ces-with/af8fd712-26c1-4fe9-8cc7-3882a8944e9f

More options Windows Media Server, Windows Media Client... Plex it's a mad mad world :)

5. godashram

godashram Member

i tend to use bluetooth with no problems at all. also been able to use playto on things other than my xbox, like my patriot box office for both movies and music. Have a reciever that supports dlna? that "may" also work using playto.... the possibility is already there, just not really advertised