What's new

my dream surface pro (for future design)

unruledboy

order by importance:
  • broadwell cpu, less heat
  • thinner, 7mm, check out Intel's sample for broadwell based tablet presented by Asus
  • max memory to at least 16GB, potentially more professional users
  • right hand side windows logo changed to finger print recognition
  • 4g/lte
  • discrete video card
  • selling type cover as a discount bundle, so it may just cost $50 :)

Last edited:

raqball

I'm pretty happy with the SP3 in its current design and configuration.

I don't need LTE built in as its easier and cheaper to just use my phone as a hotspot.

Thinner and a dedicated video card would not play well with heat.

The only thing I'd change is the ability to custom build one with the specs you want.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Discrete video capability is several years off but even then unrealistic.

Broadwell will give about the same processing power with 1/3 the power requirement. Skylake will boost performance with the same power requirement as Broadwell but nothing on release date yet.

As for graphics, its hard to see Intel catching up and unless the desktop/laptop dies totally or the EPA outlaws power wasting there's no way to put an equal capability in the box.

Thinner and lighter is mandatory to reach mass market appeal without which there won't be a Surface of any size.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
order by importance:
  • thinner, 7mm, check out Intel's sample for broadwell based tablet presented by Asus
  • max memory to at least 16GB, potentially more professional users
  • right hand side windows logo changed to finger print recognition
  • 4g/lte
  • discrete video card
  • selling type cover as a discount bundle, so it may just cost $50 :)
The discrete video card negates the rest of your deign desires.... also Intel's reference is the Core M Series and is fanless and will clock less than the U variant we have in the Haskell.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Who told you, Intel?

That's what they told when the Atom processor was released, less heat and more battery life. And they delivered that after being 6 years in the market.
1st gen Broadwell spec sheets are already published and the 1st Y series (CoreM) chips are released. The Broadwell U series will have the same 15w TDP as Haswell U series. The Y series will have 3-5w TDP and that's what is in the Intel 7mm fanless Reference tablet with similar graphics and similar performance as Haswell U . .

I hate autocorrect

grumpy

That is the hope, but the proof will be in the pudding
Hells to the no! This would likely necessitate an entirely passive cooling solution, meaning more hobbled CPU performance. Do you really think that a couple millimeters is worth a severely hobbled CPU..

"Let us redefine progress to mean that just because we can do a thing, it does not necessarily mean we must do that thing"

Probably not seen as a that important since most people tether.
  • discrete video card
Never...gonna...happen... The SP3 already has heat dissipation issues. Do you want the next device to self immolate. Discrete graphics are just not practical in this form factor.

I would like to see user accessible battery and SSD.

mitchellvii

A Pro+ model with 13.3 super amoled screen, full keyboard with quieter keys, slot for pen clip, black case, screws instead of glue, repairable. To keep owners from dropping in their own aftermarket SSD's, just solder it on if they have to.

Think about it. Many of the problems the SP3 does have is from trying to squeeze so much into a 12 inch form factor. The Yoga 2 Pro proved there is a large market for a 13.3" convertible. This is an ultrabook that can be a tablet. No one is buying the SP3 as a pure tablet so hyper transportability and one hand use is already out of the barn. More room for a battery and heat dissipation. There is nothing magical about 12 inches that 13.3" could not do better. Give it a narrower bezel and you wouldn't even need it to be that much larger. Without bezels, the SP3 is already 13.3". :)

If they made THIS I would buy it. 12 inches is a pinch for some of my legacy applications and forms.

** Oh yeah, I'd included the keyboard in the price.

Last edited:

raqball

I would not want, nor would I buy, a Surface Pro with a 13.3" screen.

12" for me is the sweet spot. Anything bigger and its use as a tablet is nill..

mitchellvii

I would not want, nor would I buy, a Surface Pro with a 13.3" screen.

12" for me is the sweet spot. Anything bigger and its use as a tablet is nill..

That's why it is a Pro + model. It is for professionals who require more real estate and longer battery life whose need for a recreational tablet is secondary.