What's new

my dream surface pro (for future design)

raqball

My bad, I misunderstood.. I will be over in the corner facing the wall while I remove foot from mouth. :p

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There aren't enough "pros" buying to make a viable product. The only way to support a Pro device is with a successful mass market device.

Len J

That's why it is a Pro + model. It is for professionals who require more real estate and longer battery life whose need for a recreational tablet is secondary.

So anyone who uses it significantly as a tablet is a recreational user? lol

I use mine exclusively on my M&A business, more than 60% as a tablet.

Recreational....lol

Your needs are not everyone else's.

Len

ctitanic

1st gen Broadwell spec sheets are already published and the 1st Y series (CoreM) chips are released. The Broadwell U series will have the same 15w TDP as Haswell U series. The Y series will have 3-5w TDP and that's what is in the Intel 7mm fanless Reference tablet with similar graphics and similar performance as Haswell U . .

I hate autocorrect
From where I'm from people say: Everything looks good in papers.

mitchellvii

There aren't enough "pros" buying to make a viable product. The only way to support a Pro device is with a successful mass market device.

Lol, the minimum price point of $1000 for the cheapest model with keyboard is way too much for mass market. That's why they call it the "Pro", it's for Pro-fessionals. Mass market is buying $199 tablets and $299 laptops.

mitchellvii

So anyone who uses it significantly as a tablet is a recreational user? lol

I use mine exclusively on my M&A business, more than 60% as a tablet.

Recreational....lol

Your needs are not everyone else's.

Len

Wow, could you have misread my comment any more completely? Is that what I said? I said the 13.3" model would be for professionals whose need for a recreational tablet is secondary - hence the larger size would not be an issue for them. Geesh. Chill out dude.

Keep in mind, there are millions of professionals out there who work for companies with legacy forms designed for 15+ inch screens. For them, 12 inches is just too small, unless they want to fill out forms with 6 point type all day. I had to redesign my entire database main form to fit this size screen. Was willing to do it because I wanted this, but many companies would hesitate.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lol, the minimum price point of $1000 for the cheapest model with keyboard is way too much for mass market. That's why they call it the "Pro", it's for Pro-fessionals. Mass market is buying $199 tablets and $299 laptops.
You're not getting your fictional *pro* device. 15w parts will have exactly the same problems. 5w parts step down the performance. A bigger device offers no advantages.

OP
unruledboy

unruledboy

A Pro+ model with 13.3 super amoled screen, full keyboard with quieter keys, slot for pen clip, black case, screws instead of glue, repairable. To keep owners from dropping in their own aftermarket SSD's, just solder it on if they have to.

Think about it. Many of the problems the SP3 does have is from trying to squeeze so much into a 12 inch form factor. The Yoga 2 Pro proved there is a large market for a 13.3" convertible. This is an ultrabook that can be a tablet. No one is buying the SP3 as a pure tablet so hyper transportability and one hand use is already out of the barn. More room for a battery and heat dissipation. There is nothing magical about 12 inches that 13.3" could not do better. Give it a narrower bezel and you wouldn't even need it to be that much larger. Without bezels, the SP3 is already 13.3". :)

If they made THIS I would buy it. 12 inches is a pinch for some of my legacy applications and forms.

** Oh yeah, I'd included the keyboard in the price.

amoled is not that good, especially for its pen-tile

wynand32

amoled is not that good, especially for its pen-tile

Agreed. Even if not pentile, AMOLED tends to kill batteries whenever actual colors are shown. They're great with all-black, though. Which is why Samsung devices tend to have those dark, (IMO) ugly UIs.

I'm tickled pink with the SP3's screen, particularly with its accurate colors. Another thing about AMOLED is that it's too easy for manufacturers to want to over-saturate colors with them, because they can. Again, Samsung is a key offender here-their AMOLED devices have unnaturally bright colors. Some people like it that way, but to me it looks too cartoonish.

Really, I don't know what the advantage of AMOLED is unless it's specifically to blow out colors. Blacks are nice and black, true, and Nokia does a pretty good job of managing colors on their phones, but still. Really, I think IPS LEDs are just fine, and they also tend to hold down costs.

mcsenerd

I don't need LTE built in as its easier and cheaper to just use my phone as a hotspot.

Not correct. If that's the case, no tablet manufacturer out there would be integrating LTE or Cellular modem capabilities in any tablet because clearly everyone has a phone and doesn't give a rat's you know what about always connected access.

The reality is that integrating an LTE (or whatever modem) is a matter of convenience. I don't want to have to jack around with some stupid phone based hotspot capability that stops serving IP addresses on random occasions or just decides to stop routing Internet access through it's hosted gateway. I'm not saying that they should force the price of an LTE modem on every buyer, but it should at least be offered as an option to those who'd desire to pay for it. I still have to drag around my iPad Retina Mini with LTE just use my company provided LTE internet service. I could of course get a jetpack/MyFi/whatever, but once again...that's another dang thing to carry around when what I really want is more convergence.

Last edited:
GPS/Glonass/Galileo
Full SD Card reader
16 GB RAM version
Intel Broadwell chip
12+ hrs battery life
2x USB3 ports
Thunderbolt port
lighter
dark grey colour
smaler bezel

Last edited:

gdir

The only thing I currently miss is an integrated LTE modem. Intel's Broadwell chips look promising, too.