What's new

my dream surface pro (for future design)

malberttoo

The reality is that integrating an LTE (or whatever modem) is a matter of convenience.

In the case of the SP3 it is more than convenience, if I understand what you're saying. Microsoft specifically said that they have continued to use the Marvel wireless chip because it is the only one available that has Bluetooth combined on the same chip. If they are that pressed for space, then I have to believe that inclusion of an LTE chip was something that they just didn't have room for.

Also maybe I should do a poll, but I do believe that the number of folks demanding a dedicated LTE option, are very much in the minority to those who are fine with tethering.

My .02.

mitchellvii

You're not getting your fictional *pro* device. 15w parts will have exactly the same problems. 5w parts step down the performance. A bigger device offers no advantages.

A year ago you would have said there would never be a 12 inch Surface Pro. :) You also think that Surface PRO is designed for mass appeal (it's not and never was). That's what the Surface line was for but RT killed that dream (if they had offered full Windows in Surface with an Atom cpu it would have been a huge hit but MS cared more about saving RT than selling tablets.).

MS is famous for missing obvious opportunities so it would not surprise me at all if they miss this one. It took them 3 tries to finally deliver the Surface Pro the marketplace told them it wanted before they built the first one.

Anyway, this is a "dream machine" thread, remember?

Last edited:

kevinlevrone

I would like Microsoft (or some other manufacturer) to create a hybrid with no bezels at all. All screen with maybe 5mm bezels and that's it. If a digitizer is not possible with thin bezels, then ditch it for that model. But they're just lazy and keep copying each other's designs.

note3

Not thinner but more robust and solid this means a thicker glass with no holes.

Furthermore: 2 USB + Ethernet + GPS and a better camera.
MS should make it as perfect as it can be done.
Thickness, weight, money are for a Pro device less important.

In long terms a cheap and not so good product is always more expensive for both sides.
What does MS has to pay for returns?
What has the user to pay for extras …?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would like Microsoft (or some other manufacturer) to create a hybrid with no bezels at all. All screen with maybe 5mm bezels and that's it. If a digitizer is not possible with thin bezels, then ditch it for that model. But they're just lazy and keep copying each other's designs.
I would agree that bezels could be reduced although they do serve a purpose in that they give you something to hold. Your marriage to your tablet would be fleeting without something to have and to hold onto. :) The first passerby could easily snatch or knock it off your hand or even a slight breeze... careful don't look away or lean it will slip off your hand. oh perhaps you'd like a pistol grip on your tablet. :)

mcsenerd

In the case of the SP3 it is more than convenience, if I understand what you're saying. Microsoft specifically said that they have continued to use the Marvel wireless chip because it is the only one available that has Bluetooth combined on the same chip. If they are that pressed for space, then I have to believe that inclusion of an LTE chip was something that they just didn't have room for.

Also maybe I should do a poll, but I do believe that the number of folks demanding a dedicated LTE option, are very much in the minority to those who are fine with tethering.

My .02.

So...this is the deal. Either you CAN replace the tablet...or...you Cannot. It's pretty simple. In this false, fairy tale location you've created for yourselves here in the "I already bought into the MS Pro line"-world, I think it's pretty clear that the majority of folks here would find not having an LTE modem option (OPTION folks...keyword here) available to be perfectly acceptable considering they've already bought the thing. And as far as the convenience thing...no bud, I'm a consumer and it's all about MY CONVENIENCE, I could not care less how convenient something is or isn't for any corporation. It is MORE convenient, more beneficial, more option-opening, more choice providing...to have the option to utilize an always-on internet connection in my device. In other words, I'd personally be willing and able to pay extra for the convenience of such an option. And I'm sure that several others would as well...

So, since we're playing the I want to be a big-boy tablet when I grow up game...let's think about the tablets currently on the market and ask ourselves a question or two: 1.) What are the top selling tablets on the market? 2.) How many of those have some sort of cellular option in their product lines? Now, is that because many ARM chipsets have options available that integrate all sorts of functions into single power efficient chips? Maybe...but that doesn't mean MS can't put pressure on chipmakers to design and deliver something closer to what they're looking for. This is one of those points where the two "thought" processes don't line up here. If you're gonna be a real tablet...they should have a SKU that provides people the option of performing a function that I personally feel a "real" tablet can...and that is much like a smartphone, provide always on access. We're supposed to be talking about "future" dream devices anyway...so one of my "dreams" is that a future MS Surface Pro will provide me an option for always on cellular Internet access...

Tsurugaya

I would like for the camera to be reversible, then you only need one camera so maybe they could afford to put zoom in it.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
A section of bezel area or even the Windows Button should change color according to device temperature. At 60c CPU temp it should appear icy. at 80c it should be green with perhaps a flashing text message that says: dissipating heat, remain calm. Some sort of user reassurance feedback & reinforcement. :D