What's new

My Favorite SP3 Feature I did not expect

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Weather App was a nice surprise.
Current weather/week -> Hourly -> Radar. Big, pretty, and it's super fast. That's exactly what i want from a weather app.

The XBox One Music app is very nice... but what's with having to pay a monthly fee on mobile devices, even if you're only using local music files?

Local music shouldn't cost you anything, it is when you turn on Cloud Sync that you start Streaming Cloud versions of your songs that you are limited to 10 hours a month or pay for unlimited.

Shawn Alfenito

Well for a traditional "tablet" like the iPad I don't think you should need one so I get his point. However, I don't think of the SP3 as a Tablet replacement. I still carry my iPad Mini Retina in my bag. I just no longer carry a MBP along with it :)

jedge

I think he was referring to the iPad in that quote. A pure consumption device.

I think of the SP3 as 3 combined devices. 1. A laptop production device, using keyboard/mouse/touchpad. 2. A tablet consumption device using touch. 3. A OneNote notebook using the stylus.

ScottyS

I take it most of you don't agree with the late Steve Jobs then... :eek: "If you see a stylus, they blew it".
As a prior owner of 3 Pocket PCs I loved the iPhone which showed you can make a device work with your finger. But the Surface has a pen. And as Ctitanic said: "Once "inking" gets into your veins you will never will be able to live without it."

mitchellvii

I owned the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and that would have been the perfect hybrid laptop if they had just included a damned digitizer. Lenovo is always making inexplicable choices like that. You design a product that screams "I can use a pen on this!", then you leave out pen functionality.

Surface Pro 3 definitely got the pen (just not the pen storage) right. Makes me wish I had artistic skill. As a matter of fact, if the SP3 came in a 13.3" size (like the Y2P) I would probably have bought that instead (a little less portable but full keyboard).

ctitanic

I take it most of you don't agree with the late Steve Jobs then... :eek: "If you see a stylus, they blew it".
It's hard to calculate the amount of damage that Steve Jobs did to the whole informatics field. He introduced a lot of "+" and a lot of "-" things or concepts being his opinion about the Stylus one of the most negative and probably with the only reason behind of standing on the other side of the fence to Bill Gates.

strollin

There's a huge difference between a pen and a stylus.

I've used devices with a stylus and used devices where you only used your fingers. In many cases the stylus worked better. On one hand it's kind of a pain to have to always carry a stylus around but the accuracy of a stylus blows away the accuracy of your finger.

kristalsoldier

• Map out a business process as I interviewed a client. They just talked about what they do, and I drew the boxes and lines that showed how they were working. At the same time OneNote was recording the meeting, and remembering at what point I drew / wrote each mark or note. That means I can click on a part of the note and replay what was being said in the meeting at that point!

Hi...Thanks for this. I am particularly interested in how you use the recording feature in OneNote. I only use it for making hand-written notes for various things. Being able to record meetings would be excellent. Perhaps you could point me to a resource which lays out the "how to" in some detail?

ctitanic

Hi...Thanks for this. I am particularly interested in how you use the recording feature in OneNote. I only use it for making hand-written notes for various things. Being able to record meetings would be excellent. Perhaps you could point me to a resource which lays out the "how to" in some detail?
You need the full version (paid) of OneNote to be able to use this feature.

Capture.JPG

riggi

I owned the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro and that would have been the perfect hybrid laptop if they had just included a damned digitizer. Lenovo is always making inexplicable choices like that. You design a product that screams "I can use a pen on this!", then you leave out pen functionality.

The Thinkpad Yoga has a Wacom pen.
I have the original Surface Pro and was trying to decide between the Thinkpad Yoga with pen and SP3.
I've decided to go with the SP3 because it's lighter and thinner.