What's new

My good/bad experiences with the Surface / wont be getting Surface 3

CrippsCorner

It's a shame it's not really worked out for you. The only point I don't really get is, "2. It takes far too long to boot out of sleep mode, and before you disagree, OS X does it instantly. And even when you factor in the different hardware and battery capacity, OS X is still better for battery life".

My Surface Pro comes out of sleep in about 1 second? Maybe 2 seconds max... I don't think that's too bad.

OP
macmee

macmee

It's a shame it's not really worked out for you. The only point I don't really get is, "2. It takes far too long to boot out of sleep mode, and before you disagree, OS X does it instantly. And even when you factor in the different hardware and battery capacity, OS X is still better for battery life".

My Surface Pro comes out of sleep in about 1 second? Maybe 2 seconds max... I don't think that's too bad.

Perhaps yours runs on magic then. Mine takes anywhere between 2-8 seconds, (often closer to 8 than 2) and I've heard that this is the norm:

http://4x.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/1pt2a7/surface_pro_2_taking_a_long_time_to_wake/
Surface RT: Power button lag : Surface

This is an outstanding issue and is a problem with Windows 8 in itself. If OS X can boot from sleep instantly than so too should Windows. Waiting 8 seconds between hitting the on button and seeing a response is gravely concerning.

Last edited:

gwinegarden

Perhaps yours runs on magic then. Mine takes anywhere between 2-8 seconds, (often closer to 8 than 2) and I've heard that this is the norm:

Surface Pro 2 taking a long time to wake : Surface

This is an outstanding issue and is a problem with Windows 8 in itself. If OS X can boot from sleep instantly than so too should Windows. Waiting 8 seconds between hitting the on button and seeing a response is gravely concerning.

My Surface 2 RT wakes up instantly, which would be a better comparison to an iPad.

CrippsCorner

Surface Pro 2 taking a long time to wake : Surface

Did you have a Surface Pro to try this on originally? I've had two now and both are the same... perhaps it's a Surface Pro 2 problem only? Seems a little strange but I wouldn't put it past Microsoft!

OP
macmee

macmee

Did you have a Surface Pro to try this on originally? I've had two now and both are the same... perhaps it's a Surface Pro 2 problem only? Seems a little strange but I wouldn't put it past Microsoft!

I think it's a problem with Windows, although I would like it to be a specific device related issue. Some of the users in the links I put in my last post were experiencing the problem on their pro 1.

My Surface 2 RT wakes up instantly, which would be a better comparison to an iPad.

We're talking about the pros. It wouldn't make sense to compare the pros in this respect to an iPad. They're much closer in spec to a MacBook Air.

edit: Unrelated problem but still related to the power button: sometimes when I press the power button (when the device is in sleep), nothing happens at all. After about ten seconds I push it again several times and the device reboots itself-- highly annoying.

Last edited:
I think Surface 2 is a better deal overall with a reasonable price point and MS office is included. I am quite happy with it, for real work on Windows OS I prefer using my laptop and Windows 7.

OP
macmee

macmee

I think Surface 2 is a better deal overall with a reasonable price point and MS office is included. I am quite happy with it, for real work on Windows OS I prefer using my laptop and Windows 7.

Yeah I think I would have loved an RT tablet with the one exception of not being able to run legacy apps. Really, if Microsoft opened it up just a smidge then I could only imagine how RT would proceed to crush iOS and Android.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah I think I would have loved an RT tablet with the one exception of not being able to run legacy apps. Really, if Microsoft opened it up just a smidge then I could only imagine how RT would proceed to crush iOS and Android.

Unfortunately the legacy Apps are causing havoc with Connected Standby on Clover Trail and Bay Trail ATOMs, it is predominately all of those legacy utilities the Computer Geeks love to load onto their Computers.

OP
macmee

macmee

Unfortunately the legacy Apps are causing havoc with Connected Standby on Clover Trail and Bay Trail ATOMs, it is predominately all of those legacy utilities the Computer Geeks love to load onto their Computers.

You say it as if its the consumer's fault. Again, as usual with Microsoft when you buy into their software you just have to assume its more riddled with bugs than you'd like.

Nuspieds

My experiences with the Surface Pro line have only gotten better and I can't wait for the 3rd Generation.

I've never owned a PC, running Windows, that didn't have nagging issues that were hardware-specific, Windows-specific, or a combination of the both; the Surface Pro is no exception. However, I am very pleased with the improvement I've seen from SP1 to SP2, so right now, I am still sold on the brand.

I was running Windows 8 on my ThinkPad W700 before I replaced it with my SP1. It is only because of the SP that I am now in love with Windows 8. As I recently told a friend, my recommendation is to upgrade to Windows 8 if you also intend on getting a touch screen; if you're going to stick to Desktop/non-touch mode, what's the rush to upgrade from Windows 7, for example, if you're fine with it?

Anyway, back to the SP, it has definitely worked out for me and though I was extremely disappointed in the docking station, I am willing to continue with my USB 3 hub in the meantime, as I definitely expect a real docking station for the 3rd Generation.

leeshor

You say it as if its the consumer's fault. Again, as usual with Microsoft when you buy into their software you just have to assume its more riddled with bugs than you'd like.

Being in the computer business myself I would have to say that 99% of the time, like it or not, it is what the consumer elected to install. I never tell them it's their fault but have frequently resorted to uninstalling programs in order to prove that the problem was neither a Microsoft or hardware problem but a poorly implemented or just flat buggy 3rd party program.

The short answer is that if the consumer, (customer), chooses to install some outdated, or little used. proprietary, buggy software they should live with the consequences or get something else.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

It is the consumer's fault when they insist on breaking their systems loading the stuff that does no real function or holding onto legacy software design long prior to mobile device. I see it all the time, "I've owned x piece of software since 2003 it works on all of my machines but when I install it on my Atom based Tablet my computer locks up or I have a huge battery drain when I put into sleep... its Windows 8.1's fault it worked fine on XP on my desktop."