What's new

My Plans for the Surface - Post Your's?

tomvanhooydonk

Once it is delivered to me, first thing ill be doing is uploading all my seasons of family guy and South Park, and also a few movies either to the device itself or micro sd cards. I will be updating my music collection. Also, soon, I will be going to Telstra ( for you Americans Telstra is our leading phone and Internet provider) and purchasing a 4g wireless modem. I am 15, at school and work at a supermarket 5 nights a week. My general application of the Microsoft surface will be for entertainment and leisure, but, with the addition of Home andnStudent RT 2013, I will be more than able to complete my schoolwork on it. Anyway, what are your plans for the Surface?

mapexvenus

My Surface will primarily be a productivity tool (and an iPad replacement for productivity). Entertainment will be second, but I am hoping to see apps from Hulu, Netflix and Crackle. I am looking forward to using MS Office RT and Evernote very exhaustively on the device. I am hoping that there will be a Dropbox app as well.

OP
T

tomvanhooydonk

It really does look like a versatile, multi functional tool. I know there is a definite Netflix app, as Steve sinofsky showed it off at the key-note event :)

TeknoBlast

I have a weekend business. Even though I can do everything with my Windows Phone, having the Surface will be much better. I'll just tether to my phone and my Surface will have internet access.

mapexvenus

I am looking for a device that promises a richer experience than an iPad or Android device. I also want to be able to use the device for productivity apps that are not currently available on either iOS or Android, like Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote). I am also a geek and like to play with all kinds of gadgets and I have owned or currently own devices on all mobile platforms.

kricke

I also want to be able to use the device for productivity apps that are not currently available on either iOS or Android, like Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote).

Maybe you do not know that there is a OneNote iOS app which is quite good.

Knut

mapexvenus

Maybe you do not know that there is a OneNote iOS app which is quite good.

Knut

I am aware of (and currently have) OneNote for iOS and think it is a pretty shoddy implementation of this product. Functionality is very limited when compared to the desktop version and notes created on the desktop version look completely different when synced with the iOS version (bullets / numbers etc.)

kricke

Ok, I agree, the implementation on iOS could be better.
Although, depending on my usage scenario I am quite satisfied with its features.
Or, the implemented - and not implemented - features dictate my usage?

Let's hope for the surface.

Knut

MrGoodtunes

...there is a definite Netflix app, as Steve sinofsky showed it...

Thanks, good news! I bought Surface RT for my wife who flys often and watches videos during long flights on an old DVD portable with weak, heavy batteries. Also, and very importantly, I hope to... tether! (i.e. Connect Surface to the Internet via my Windows Mobile smartphone with USB cable, same way as I'm currently providing Internet access to my desktop for this post.)

Chip

I too miss OneNote, and the ability to write with a real pen, not something with a 1/4 inch soft bulb on the end. Reminds me of the mechanical penciled we had in first grade. I so miss certain aspects from my Windows tablets before I switched to iPad.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Thanks, good news! I bought Surface RT for my wife who flys often and watches videos during long flights on an old DVD portable with weak, heavy batteries. Also, and very importantly, I hope to... tether! (i.e. Connect Surface to the Internet via my Windows Mobile smartphone with USB cable, same way as I'm currently providing Internet access to my desktop for this post.)

It looks like you can't USB tether but should be able to via bluetooth and wifi hotspot.

However USB tethering is not supported by the class driver included in Windows RT.

Source: AnandTech - Microsoft Surface Review