What's new

My SP3 only charge one way?

double07

My impression was: you can charge your SP3 any way(end up or end down). My SP3 only charges when plug in with end up. It would NOT charge when end down. My SP1, I can charge it any way.

Can someone check yours? If this is an issue on my SP3. I need to get it exchange.

Thanks in advance...

scottysize

I've had mine in either way and it charged just fine. Didn't know there was a specific way to plug it in. Thought it functioned like the MacBooks and there was no upside down, but I could be wrong. Maybe mine's broken and it shouldn't be charging upside down? In fact, I usually plug it in the opposite direction of this blog:

Surface Pro 3's new and improved power connector makes charging a breeze | Windows Phone Central

so the cable goes up on mine, not down. I find this gets the cable out of my way when I'm using it.

OP
D

double07

I've had mine in either way and it charged just fine. Didn't know there was a specific way to plug it in. Thought it functioned like the MacBooks and there was no upside down, but I could be wrong. Maybe mine's broken and it shouldn't be charging upside down? In fact, I usually plug it in the opposite direction of this blog:

Surface Pro 3's new and improved power connector makes charging a breeze | Windows Phone Central

so the cable goes up on mine, not down. I find this gets the cable out of my way when I'm using it.

That is what I thought too, it should function as MacBook charger. My SP3 can only charge with one specific way. I guess, it is defected and I will make exchange.

raphaelmo

My impression was: you can charge your SP3 any way(end up or end down). My SP3 only charges when plug in with end up. It would NOT charge when end down. My SP1, I can charge it any way.

Can someone check yours? If this is an issue on my SP3. I need to get it exchange.

Thanks in advance...
Sorry to get back here. I'm having the same issue. Used to works in both ways, note only one. Did u solved the issue? How?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure if it would help but have you tried giving the port and plug a good clean? My partner had an issue with the charger due to some stuff that had gotten in the charging port.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Magnetic connectors have a drawback point: they magnetize the area just around the port, attracting metal shavings and dust. Shavings can cause short circuits.

Blow some air around the port, and clean the charger connector.

Hope that helps.