What's new

The N-Trig Jittery line problem will:

• Total voters

fonzman78

Thanks for your reply. So, basically what you are saying is that it is a defective technology that cannot be used for precise work. Microsoft should be up front about this instead of lying to the creative community about how great their products are.

Uh, seriously? You expect manufacturers to be honest and not lie about their products? You obviously are not in Sales, Marketing, or have your own business. If companies were all up front and honest about their products, nothing would ever sell.

randykouhai

"l was considering to get an SP4 but if it's not even gonna be same as my Note Edge, I won't enjoy it. I don't wanna get an iPad Pro because if I do, I have to get a laptop as well cuz I don't have one. I was hoping the Surface Pro 4 would be my "everything" device. I was considering to do professional drawing on it..."

I was writing this comment and decided to check the video with the guy testing jitter with a ruler. Sure there was jitter if you go really slow, but I don't see myself drawing that slow really. And I think it won't be a problem with painting because you use bigger brushes.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
"l was considering to get an SP4 but if it's not even gonna be same as my Note Edge, I won't enjoy it. I don't wanna get an iPad Pro because if I do, I have to get a laptop as well cuz I don't have one. I was hoping the Surface Pro 4 would be my "everything" device. I was considering to do professional drawing on it..."

I was writing this comment and decided to check the video with the guy testing jitter with a ruler. Sure there was jitter if you go really slow, but I don't see myself drawing that slow really. And I think it won't be a problem with painting because you use bigger brushes.
It may depend on what you want to do.

Drawings that you have done with your surface | Microsoft Surface Forums
Drawings that you have done with your surface | Page 13 | Microsoft Surface Forums

randykouhai

Wow, I see great artwork there. Especially the latest post, mindblowing! I mean yeah, it depends on your abilities in the first place, but knowing that it is capable of this such artwork is enough to convince me. Still, I might go for a MBP iPad Pro combo that depends on Pencil's capabilities. I've thought about my last post and going for Apple ecosystem might be more beneficial for me because I wanna be able to code for iOS too. I'm going off topic, sorry.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
Horses for courses, everyone is different as is shown in the link that Greyfox posted great artwork is possible (my own contributions to that thread excluded!!) but it depends on the style and way of working of the artist. The apple pencil tilt ability does look very interesting but it will be more limited in the software it can be used on - however if you're happy with the apps that are available for ipad pro then it won't stop you.

You can of course try plugging in a Wacom tablet to the Surface pro for the more delicate work where you're hacing problems (not really serious about this but ... I wonder if anyone's actually done that). I have a Wacom Intuos Pro Small I might give it a try and see what it's like - it won't be the same as just drawing directly on the screen of course

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Horses for courses, everyone is different as is shown in the link that Greyfox posted great artwork is possible (my own contributions to that thread excluded!!) but it depends on the style and way of working of the artist. The apple pencil tilt ability does look very interesting but it will be more limited in the software it can be used on - however if you're happy with the apps that are available for ipad pro then it won't stop you.

You can of course try plugging in a Wacom tablet to the Surface pro for the more delicate work where you're hacing problems (not really serious about this but ... I wonder if anyone's actually done that). I have a Wacom Intuos Pro Small I might give it a try and see what it's like - it won't be the same as just drawing directly on the screen of course
I'm not an artist nor do I play one on the Internet however, I had this thought. Perhaps vector editing straight lines would be more effective, with the appropriate software of course. :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Just to level set as this thread heads sideways...

Multiple artists are using the SP3, SP4 and SB everyday to produce their wears including cartoonists, graphic artists and fine artists.

LazyNezumi

Lazy Nezumi Pro does help with these N-Trig devices.
If you're drawing slow line art, the Pulled String preset should help.
For faster stuff, you can use Subtle or Massive (these are more dynamic), and adjust the smoothing amount to your liking.

Be sure to go to the control panel's "Pen and Touch" settings, and disable the "Press and hold - right click" option.
This will avoid some occasional missed strokes.

ptapang

Thanks for your reply. So, basically what you are saying is that it is a defective technology that cannot be used for precise work. Microsoft should be up front about this instead of lying to the creative community about how great their products are.

I don't think it's defective. It's a bug for sure, but I have completed some pretty precise work on the surface book. I guess you just have to be a little quicker with your strokes. See attachment

Attachments

• 20160103_190502_HDR.jpg
    20160103_190502_HDR.jpg
    810.8 KB · Views: 675