What's new

N-trig

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodBytes

Gabe at Penny Arcade got access to a pre-release unit and just posted a review Penny Arcade - Surface Pro 3

Confirms 256 pressure levels but says its not a bad experience, though he doesn't recommend it overall yet due to other performance issues, it will be interesting to see how MS responds... I wish quite frankly if this was such an important market to them that they got feedback sooner than a few weeks before the device ships. Though it feels to me like they're hitting more integrated GPU issues than anything else, which really falls on Intel.

Well to be fair. They did focus the Surface Pro 1 and 2 to artists, and the Pro 3 to note taking, to a point of putting a button to start a OneNote anytime.
And also, the fact that you don't need to calibrate the N-Trig pen, is much more appealing to the mass consumers. Most people don't know about the need to calibrate the pen, and Microsoft has no tool to do such. It just has some generic 'for all tablets' calibration system, same if you install Wacom drivers, which seams to be more focused in providing the best advantage to its own product rather than make the Surface Pro 1/2 digitizer better (which I think it is a silly move, as it would act as a showcase to consumers about Wacom technology and their Cintiq line of monitors, and that this mistake would cost them dearly, as as soon as PhotoShop and other big drawing software support Windows Ink APIs (new to Win8), Wacom will no longer have the monopoly.

Last edited:

Atomic Walrus

Gabe at Penny Arcade got access to a pre-release unit and just posted a review Penny Arcade - Surface Pro 3

Confirms 256 pressure levels but says its not a bad experience, though he doesn't recommend it overall yet due to other performance issues, it will be interesting to see how MS responds... I wish quite frankly if this was such an important market to them that they got feedback sooner than a few weeks before the device ships. Though it feels to me like they're hitting more integrated GPU issues than anything else, which really falls on Intel.

The main performance issue he mentions is actually the N-trig hover lag, which you can see in the first video that appears if you search for "n-trig lag." This comment makes that clear:
Working on a comic strip, It feels like I’m dragging the cursor through syrup. Strangely that lag doesn’t seem to be present when I’m actually drawing with the pen touching the surface.

Here's the video demonstrating the issue (I think this has been posted several times, but here it is again anyway):
[video=youtube;wYBstWuXtdY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYBstWuXtdY[/video] ). I think this video's been posted several times but there it is again.

As I understand it the pen goes into a lower polling rate when it's not actually in contact with the screen to save battery life, but the result is that when hovering the pointer lags significantly. Once you make contact with the screen the polling rate increases and the lag is similar to Wacom's digitizers. Personally I find that hover lag to be quite annoying, but the trade off is that N-trig's current generation digitizers are far more positionally accurate than Wacom's old "Penabled" tech (what they sell to 3rd parties). So if you can learn to ignore the pointer and look at the pen tip you can get very decent results. It's probably a better experience over all for note taking, but for Photoshop work ignoring the pointer is possibly more difficult.

Anyway the point is that a faster CPU/GPU won't help that type of lag, it's simply the nature of the technology. He mentioned some other performance concerns which are most likely related to the HD4400 and that higher resolution screen ("Moving around the image also feels slow with some stuttering and screen tearing."), but the cursor lag isn't related.

Last edited:

Mikeyqp

Can I assume that there will always be even the tiniest of lag when writing with any digital pen (n-trig or wacom)? If there is, I think I might be a little disappointed :(

I'm mainly going to buy the sp3 for note taking, so I generally won't be doing any fast strokes with the pen. I care more about pen lag and accuracy than pressure sensitivity.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Of course in the Video, the Fujitsu T901 is using a full voltage CPU driving a 1600x900 display.... battery life 2-4 hours if lucky

The SP3 is ULV Connected Standby Machine where battery life is the paramount paradigm.... Artists typically need raw power using legacy creative tools. As Adobe finally revamps CC to support the new computing world most of these issues will become less evident using new software, but will require investments.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Connected Standby runs a specialized Power Plan that disables S3, S4 Power States and runs the S0iX Power State which controls all of the peripherals to maximize battery life, works just like a BayTrail ATOM or ARM Based machine...

Status
Not open for further replies.