What's new

Narrator Enabled on Lock Screen?

ken20020

Hi,

We are testing this device in a domain environment, and we have had two instances where Narrator was turned on somehow on the lock screen. Once it is on we were not able to disable it without restarting the device. After the restart, going into Control Panel show Narrator is disabled. Is there some key combination that we are pressing on the lock screen which is starting this? Is there a key combination to turn it off?

This seems buggy, but we could very well be pressing something unaware.

Note that it will enable itself without us entering the GUI menu on the lock screen.

Anyone else seeing this?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
There is an Ease of Access Button on the Lock Screen, its located on the Lower Left, includes Narrator, OSK and a Couple of the options....I've seen it activated by "Click Curiosity"....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Windows Key+Enter also activates Narrator, you can go to the extreme of disabling the shortcut by creating a reg hack...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\Narrator.exe

String value = "Debugger" = "%1"

ctitanic

I have not been able to replicate the issue but it's something that happened to me few times already.

OP
K

ken20020

The last time it happened to me. It was after the tablet sat overnight. At the time, it was connected to AC power, and the power options were set to sleep never when on AC power. When I first came in that morning, the tablet was warm, and the fan was working hard where you could hear it quite well. The tablet was not doing any tasks, it was just on all night without sleep. When I first touched it it was in Narrator mode. The snap in keyboard was connected. I can't replicate the issue either, it just happens it seems. Feels like some type of bug, but I'm not sure yet.

toaf

try turning it on around 1230am then have your wife wonder who the girls voice is.. good fun.

VDR

Same just happened on my SP3. It was in sleep mode and charging while I took a nap. Upon waking up and unlocking I was unable input my password normally and narrator was babbling crazily. Finally after a lot of patience I was able to input my long password and go to desktop, but few seconds after device went back to lock screen prompting for password again, with damn narrator on. I restarted the device and for now it seems to be working properly, without narrator. Another bug perhaps... just one of many I encountered for 2 weeks of usage :(

bluegrass

The Op mentioned pressing some key combination on the lock screen to enter the password. You shouldn't need to press anything but the Enter key to bring up the Enter Password to logon. BTW, I have installed two Surface 3's on the domain where I work and they haven't complained to me yet about a strange lady talking to them and not being able to login. Good luck.