What's new

Need a reality check

OP
T

Trixanity

Well, originally I was going for the i7 256 but it seems like it might be a poor decision due to tdp constraints. So it's either i5 128 or i5 256. The thinkpad I was looking at costs about the same as i5 256 (with student discount and without type cover) with full HD IPS, 180 ssd, I think it's 4200u and 4 gb ram. Can't remember the specifics. It's pre-configured from third party websites.

I'll be able to hook up mechanical keyboard, mouse and external monitors at home for added comfort.

It's a different scenario at school. I have considered buying a monitor for school but it would have to fit in a locker since it would be stolen otherwise and I obviously can't drag it with me on a commute every day.

I don't think I'll buy the dock. It's fairly expensive and I figure mini dp and a usb hub with ethernet is all I need for connectivity. I assume the type cover is fine for classes and general use. My mechanical keyboard is mostly for heavy duty typing I'd think. Mouse I'm not sure about. I think I could make do with touch pad and screen.

I would note that I'm not from the US, so no surfaces are available atm but will be in a few weeks.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of course there's always occasions for presents from friends and family to fill needs :)
Well, originally I was going for the i7 256 but it seems like it might be a poor decision due to tdp constraints. So it's either i5 128 or i5 256. The thinkpad I was looking at costs about the same as i5 256 (with student discount and without type cover) with full HD IPS, 180 ssd, I think it's 4200u and 4 gb ram. Can't remember the specifics. It's pre-configured from third party websites.

I'll be able to hook up mechanical keyboard, mouse and external monitors at home for added comfort.

It's a different scenario at school. I have considered buying a monitor for school but it would have to fit in a locker since it would be stolen otherwise and I obviously can't drag it with me on a commute every day.

I don't think I'll buy the dock. It's fairly expensive and I figure mini dp and a usb hub with ethernet is all I need for connectivity. I assume the type cover is fine for classes and general use. My mechanical keyboard is mostly for heavy duty typing I'd think. Mouse I'm not sure about. I think I could make do with touch pad and screen.

I would note that I'm not from the US, so no surfaces are available atm but will be in a few weeks.

A USB3 or even usb2 dock is probably a better option ... available from Pluggable, Cable Maters, Targus. Good point about items walking... always a consideration. sounds like you're zeroing in.