What's new

Need help - battery die !!!

Inuyasha1987

Dear all,

I need your advice. I think my battery have already died. I'm not sure 100% but if I put out charge, my surface suddenly turn off and cannot turn on except put in charge. When I check battery by Surface_Tweak_Tool. Information is 83% charged for battery. However, when I put out charge, it turn off. So does my battery die ?
Just by this machine 3 months and I've never thought I have to face with this problem. So now how I can contact with Microsoft support to ask about my situation ?

Thank you in advance.

sounds like the battery management firmware has gone a bit screwy.

Try turning it on in UEFI mode (hold down volume up + power, then release power button when turned on) and leave it in the bios menu until the battery is completely drained. then charge overnight with the machine off.

OP
I

Inuyasha1987

sounds like the battery management firmware has gone a bit screwy.

Try turning it on in UEFI mode (hold down volume up + power, then release power button when turned on) and leave it in the bios menu until the battery is completely drained. then charge overnight with the machine off.
Sorry, may be I describe not clearly so u misunderstand my idea. My problem is: seem like my battery don't drain. If I plug out, SP3 will turns off suddenly. Try to hold 2 buttons power and volume it don't turn on. Plug on charger and press the power, it turns on. So that's why I think my battery didn't drain and may be it die :(. Very funny because for a long time using laptop, it's the first time I face with this problem and I can not believe it come from high price product - SP3 :(.

Contact http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support
Or search Microsoft Surface Support It may give a more country specific link.

It could be a problem with the charger or the surface power management circuit or battery can you take it to a local store to check? or borrow someone's charger?
I try this link sometimes but I dont know why it's always busy. With the charger,there are no problem with the charger, I think have problem with battery. I am staying in Japan so I don't know how to find out local store. Every thing here is Japanese, no English and I don't understand Japanese T___T.

P/s: Forgive me if I make mistake. My English is not really good.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like you need to get one of your Japanese friends or coworkers to help you out with the local landscape. I didn't have too much trouble getting around when I was there but sometimes I had to act lost and rely on the help of strangers :)

Liam2349

How long have you left it charging? If it's been charging for a whole day and still can't run without being plugged in, I would say you need a replacement device.

Deryl McCarty

Happened to me exactly as Inuyasha87 described last Monday. And about that time I did get some update "warnings" in Syslog, but none on screen. At any rate, was using my SP3 (i7/256) at the office and engaged in a conversation with a guy that dropped by for advice. After 30 minutes of so I returned to the SP3 and it was black screened. I tried to unsleep, power on, power on volume up button plus 20 seconds, power down plus 20 seconds, and both up and down plus 20 seconds. Nada. Had a lap top so used that for a while and went home. At home plugged in power, tried normal on and voila, it turned on normal-normal. I noted that it had an 83% charge when it came on. That had happened before but not with the SP3 and not, obviously, with Win10. But it did happen with my SP1 and occasionally the SP2. In both of those cases we had lots of conversations on the MS forum and others and seemed to blame the charging circuit firmware. The descriptions at the time sounded as if the battery had "instantly" discharged and in most of my cases I had to charge the Surface for 4-5 minutes before the on button would activate, but I now forget what the state of charge percentages were at the time.

I too have worked along time with computers and know that the best software and hardware are playgrounds for the ever capricious computer gods (stray cosmic rays or neutrons reversing a bit in RAM). Until it happens a few more times I just attribute it to "capricious". But, as a President once said, trust but verify. So, I will do a bit more due diligence to assure that my SP3 isn't telegraphing its punches and is actually telling me it is having issues.

OP
I

Inuyasha1987

How long have you left it charging? If it's been charging for a whole day and still can't run without being plugged in, I would say you need a replacement device.
Yes, I believe that my SP3 have to replace. Now I try to contact with MS supporter but in working time I'm very busy so I cannot use support answer desk. I am only free in the evening but this time they closed. No email address to contact. I'm quite disappointed with MS support. Seem like they don't want to offer full support. First time I had been impressed by SP1 then SP2 and finally much more impressed by SP3 but now ... everything's gone. I think I will not try with SP4 if they have. A tablet - laptop with bad battery quality. Only 1 month - start to have wear level, no exactly it's more than 2 weeks with little using because I was still using my laptop. 2 months - 6% for wear level and then more than 3 months, battery die ! How to become a good tablet without battery. So sad :(.

Happened to me exactly as Inuyasha87 described last Monday. And about that time I did get some update "warnings" in Syslog, but none on screen. At any rate, was using my SP3 (i7/256) at the office and engaged in a conversation with a guy that dropped by for advice. After 30 minutes of so I returned to the SP3 and it was black screened. I tried to unsleep, power on, power on volume up button plus 20 seconds, power down plus 20 seconds, and both up and down plus 20 seconds. Nada. Had a lap top so used that for a while and went home. At home plugged in power, tried normal on and voila, it turned on normal-normal. I noted that it had an 83% charge when it came on. That had happened before but not with the SP3 and not, obviously, with Win10. But it did happen with my SP1 and occasionally the SP2. In both of those cases we had lots of conversations on the MS forum and others and seemed to blame the charging circuit firmware. The descriptions at the time sounded as if the battery had "instantly" discharged and in most of my cases I had to charge the Surface for 4-5 minutes before the on button would activate, but I now forget what the state of charge percentages were at the time.

I too have worked along time with computers and know that the best software and hardware are playgrounds for the ever capricious computer gods (stray cosmic rays or neutrons reversing a bit in RAM). Until it happens a few more times I just attribute it to "capricious". But, as a President once said, trust but verify. So, I will do a bit more due diligence to assure that my SP3 isn't telegraphing its punches and is actually telling me it is having issues.
Thank you very much for your sharing, friend. So now how about your SP3 ? Did you replace it or you have any tip to fix this problem ?