What's new

Need help to set up Suface RT correctly

Riano

Hello all,

I have a Surface RT which runs Windows RT Preview 8.1 Build 9431.

I cannot Access the MS Store ( "cant connect...try later", nor can I activate the Surface RT nor install Updates ( I get multiple Error Mssgs.)

I don't know what to Do, so I would Really appreciate any help solving These Problems.

Thx in Avance
riano

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
First check your Date & Time. If its significantly off you'll run into these types of problems.

I'm curious where an RT came from with a Preview Installed... has this not been in use that long?..

OP
Riano

Riano

I downloaded the preview version a long time ago and just started using the tablet again. so thats why i am a little behind regarding the 8.1 version ..

I am in Denmark right now and date&time is set according to that.

thanks for fast reply

hope to solve the issue soon

best regards and happy new years

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok, the best solution then may be to Refresh as you've probably fallen into a preview deactivation time warp. Refresh, as I understand, would take the RT back to 8.0 then I think there's an update necessary so that it will get offered the 8.1 update in the Store. Not a scenario I have personally gone through but I think that's the general process you'll need to follow. Plug in and stay connected you've a long day ahead... :) As I recall you will probably have to make a couple visits to the Store before it presents the Upgrade to 8.1 it didn't always do it on First visit.

Happy New Year!

OP
Riano

Riano

I did a refresh yesterday and it booted with "Windows RT 8.1 Preview Build 9431". So I believe there is no way to get back to W 8.0 unless i created a recovery usb stick with windows 8.0 on it, correct?

I'm lost :(

I will try another refresh though

Hope for more tips,

thanks already :)

OP
Riano

Riano

Nice, thanks for the link. One dumb question. Can i also use a sd card or do i have to use an usb stick for recovering?

OP
Riano

Riano

So i tried creating a usb recovery stick with the provided link above. when i booted the surface from the stick, it gave me the option to set it back to factory settings but it wouldnt install rt 8.0 but 8.1 preview again...thats not what i wanted..

so after a little bit of googling, i managed to find a windows rt 8.0 .iso file... i formatted my usb stick to fat32 and copied the .iso file of rt 8.0 to the stick and tried booting the surface from the stick..but that doesnt work. it would just boot normally..

any tips / suggestions?

kind regards

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Id assume you will have to blow away the disk partitions first like you do going back to 8.1 from 10.

I have always read that if you Refreshed an RT on 8.1 it would go back to 8.0 but maybe that only happens if you upgraded to the RTM build and not Betas. Or maybe its total hogwash, wouldn't be the first time something I read was wrong. :)

OP
Riano

Riano

could you provide me a link or tell me how i would blow away the disk partitions ? :)

hope i will get this tablet working soon..

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here are the steps for going from 10 back to 8.1 from an MS support thread it should be pretty close to the same...

Make sure that Surface is shut down and plugged in.
Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on Surface.
Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the power button on your Surface.
When the Surface logo appears, release the volume-down button.
When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
Tap or click Troubleshoot,
Then tap or click Advanced Options,
Then tap or click Command Prompt.
If prompted for a recovery key - select Skip This Drive at the bottom of the screen.
At the command prompt, type diskpart.exe and press Enter.
Type LIST DISK and press Enter.
Type SELECT DISK SYSTEM and press Enter.
Type CLEAN and press Enter.
Type EXIT and press Enter.
Close the Command Prompt by clicking the "X" in the upper right corner.
Tap or click Troubleshoot
Then tap or click Reset your PC.
On the Reset your PC screen, choose Next.
If prompted for a recovery key, tap or click Skip this drive at the bottom of the screen.
Tap or click Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, tap or click Next.
Choose either Just remove my files or Fully clean the drive. The option to clean the drive is more secure, but takes much longer. For example, if you are recycling your Surface, you should choose to clean the drive. If you are keeping your Surface, you just need to remove your files.
Tap or click Reset.
Surface will restart and the Surface logo displays while the reset process completes (this can take several minutes).
During recovery, at American Megatrends screen, press Esc. (Not sure you will see this)
If the UEFI screen is shown, press Save & Exit.