What's new

Need Screen to Turn Off After Certain Delay But NOT Sleep

Add me to the list of those who would like a screensaver option that *only* dims the screen but doesn't put the unit to sleep. When I'm using my SP3 during the day, for office work, it's always plugged in. If I step out of the room for a short while, it would be great to turn off the monitors, but when I come back in 15 minutes or so, I don't want to have to deal with wake-up issues, I just want the screen(s) to turn back on :)

Michael

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
It seems like an absurd oversight. CS is absolutely not an alternative. If i want to compress a folder and it takes 30 minutes, or encode a video and it takes just 20 minutes, i should be able to do that with the screen turned off and machine running at full power as per normal. Not force me to have the screen on, or the tablet asleep (allowing some MUI apps to run during CS is not an adequate alternative)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It seems like an absurd oversight. CS is absolutely not an alternative. If i want to compress a folder and it takes 30 minutes, or encode a video and it takes just 20 minutes, i should be able to do that with the screen turned off and machine running at full power as per normal. Not force me to have the screen on, or the tablet asleep (allowing some MUI apps to run during CS is not an adequate alternative)
So even with the default policies you can still accomplish what you are wanting to do:

Under the default Power Scheme - Set Sleep to Never while plugged in, then under the advanced Power Settings have it turn the display off while plugged in to whatever you want....

upload_2014-8-18_9-15-14.png

upload_2014-8-18_9-16-0.png

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does it actually turn the display off after 4 minutes on battery, or does it put it to sleep?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
It will work plugged in but on Battery the Power Management EPROM takes over....

exactly. That's the issue. HAving the screen on or off when plugged in is meaningless. This is about battery power and saving what little we have to start with . It's meant to be a mobile device, it makes absolutely zero sense to not have this as an option. Or is this a ruse my MS to try and force us all into using MUI apps more? (which as far as i'm aware, have the ability to run while in CS).

I want to open up a regular desktop version of winrar, compress a few thousand pictures, and have the screen off while i do it so as to save all the power i can. I don't think this is asking for a miracle, to have a feature we have had for the past what, 20 years?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
This is due to the fact Win32 Applications are not CS aware and are designed for desktop environments that are always plugged in, with full resources available and under current paradigms there really isn't a way to accomplish the battery life we desire with the form factor we demand with the backwards compatibility we whine for....Win32 has it legacy from a Kernel written for 1996....

MUI Applications using WinRT are not called "Modern" solely based on the UI, they are modern because they are coded from the ground up to scale across screen sizes from 3.8" to 80" with resolutions from 1280x800 to 4K, are Connected Standby Aware and also usable on Tablets.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't want them to be cs aware. I just want to be able to turn off the display like you can every single other windows laptop.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I feel for you, your specific use case (Using only Win32 Applications) isn't compatible with the SP3 in its current design without attempting one of the Power Management Hacks and as consumers demand more convergence in their tech devices we see this design being implemented across OEMs for Windows Ultrabooks and Tablets with Broadwell and Cherry Trail S0iX Implementations to maximize battery life.

Have you at least given MUI Applications a try to see if they will meet your use case