What's new

Need Screen to Turn Off After Certain Delay But NOT Sleep

Interesting about the order. A couple days ago I thought I was being clever to avoid the on-awake issue, but setting sleep to Never for both on-battery and plugged-in. I did this via the Power and Sleep Settings, but those seem to be ignored. (Unit still sleeps when it feels like it)..

I will try the UI and order you state above and see what happens :)
tx
Michael

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I feel for you, your specific use case (Using only Win32 Applications) isn't compatible with the SP3 in its current design without attempting one of the Power Management Hacks and as consumers demand more convergence in their tech devices we see this design being implemented across OEMs for Windows Ultrabooks and Tablets with Broadwell and Cherry Trail S0iX Implementations to maximize battery life.

Have you at least given MUI Applications a try to see if they will meet your use case
I don't have the sp3 yet, so am trying to keep an open mind about mui apps. As it is on desktop though, I refuse to use them. One of the biggest reasons being they are full screen. I like my task bars etc to be visible be it for time or battery. Android "recently" allowed apps to have full screen and hide the o. screen buttons and notification bar. It didn't go down well with me.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Windows Threshold (aka - Windows 9) is rumored to have the ability to use "Windowed" MUI Apps for desktop scenarios...

For me my SP3 is a x86 Tablet First and Hybrid Second, I've used Windows Tablets since 2002 and MUI and Windows 8.x is the best Tablet OS I've used.

Personally I'm very worried with the dialing back that is rumored to be coming to Windows Threshold, unless they are implemented the same way as GDR1 for WP 8.1 has implemented similar changes....

RadicalDad

There is a lot of misinformation going on here. MUI Apps do not "run" while a CS-enabled machine is in sleep. CS allows machines with the appropriate hardware to remain connected via Ethernet or Wi-Fi but remain in a low power state. MUI apps get to check status once every 30 seconds and do some longer activities once every 15 minutes, but they can't run full bore in the background while a machine is in CS Sleep.

The order in which you enter parameters in various power dialogs doesn't matter either. In CS machines, these are all connected. You can't beat the system this way.

Microsoft has blown it with CS on the SP3. In tablet mode and running on battery, CS is great. However, if the SP3 is really "the tablet that can replace your laptop" as MS advertises, then CS needs to act like a laptop power plan when the SP3 is in the dock or otherwise connected to AC power. This isn't rocket science or even difficult. CS just needs to play by the old rules when the SP3 is in the dock.

OP
B

berardi1111

OK so the best solution I have found is:
1. Disable connected standby via regedit
2. Set the computer to never sleep in each of your power settings schemes via the Windows Modern settings
3. Under advanced power options set the screen to turn off after the desired amount of time for each of your power schemes.

I think the important part is to FIRST set the never sleep inside the Windows Modern settings. THEN change the advanced power options screen turn off time.

This is really backwards and MS really needs to fix this but for now my Surface Pro 3 is behaving as I would like it to.

RadicalDad

How does one turn off CS via regedit? That information is not readily available, at least not on this forum. Would be helpful to list that info here instead of making people search for it.

While I haven't tried it yet, I seriously doubt that the MUI and desktop power applets are so disconnected that they don't talk to each other. The order in which you apply settings (MUI first, CP first) should have no effect on eventual outcome.

Meantime, has anyone made a concerted effort to tell MS that CS is a showstopper? This should be brain-dead easy to fix. The enforced lack of control looks like the Apple-ization of Microsoft. Sheesh, if I wanted and Apple product, I'd just buy that instead.

ProOrNo

To be clear, I want to have the display ONLY turn off after 3 minutes, but NEVER sleep my device.

I wrote a rough and dirty for a previous laptop. It just fills the screen with a black form (window), essentially turning it off as black=0.0.0 RGB. Tapping the space-bar (and I think moving or clicking the mouse, can't remember) hides the black form and disables the timer. It sits in the taskbar and clicking (tapping) it will pop it up again and start the timer (or not) again.

Suggest a place to upload the program to and you (+all) are welcome to it.

I also just wrote one that displays the current internal IP address so I can use a VNC to access connected devices that auto-assign the IP. It was driving me nuts having to go to the Network and Sharing center to see the defined IP before connecting.