What's new

Nest thermostat

bertopl

I went ahead and ordered a v1. should be here this week. I figure if I don't like the v1 I can swap it out for a v2. can't wait to get it!! :) thanks for the feedback guys!!

bertopl

yes sir, I did!! :) never thought I'd be this excited over a thermostat!! I got it installed almost a week ago so it's still "learning" when I try to look at what it's doing in the nest app. now once "auto-away" is done learning, will I be able to check if my nest is properly detecting whether I'm home or not? I can't seem to find that in the app or website just yet.

on another note, Vegas was warming up when I bought it and now our weather is all over the place. there are days I'd have to switch back and forth between heating and cooling. I'm not sure if this is going to make it harder for nest to learn what I want it to do. I really love this thing though. simple to install and really beautiful and elegant. the proxy sensors work perfect on mine too. it's installed in a hallway and she lights up when I pass it by.

OP
bosamar

bosamar

yes sir, I did!! :) never thought I'd be this excited over a thermostat!
Me too! I've got our trigger temps set at 62 and 78. Not much action here until summer. Since you live in Vegas you'll be seeing a lot of blue screens which means the AC is running. I'm about 275 southwest of you. Between now and July the Nest will be calm.

bertopl

I actually can't wait for summer to hit again, I'm about tired of the cold weather, but it's been beautiful here the last few days. in the summer here, I average between a $350 - $400 electric bill!! I tend to leave the AC on 24 hrs a day during the summer. if I shut off the AC before going to work during the summer, it takes so long to cool the house after I get home, it's really unbearable. I buy a ton of gadgets, but this is one I hope will pay for itself over time. I'm looking forward to seeing how it affects my electric bill this summer. now all I need is a windows 8 app for my nest!!

OP
bosamar

bosamar

yup, came with everything needed to install. I'm really glad I didnt need to use the wall plates. it looks so much nicer on the wall without it.

It certainly does look better without the wall plate. I've read v2 is thinner than v1.

bertopl

It certainly does look better without the wall plate. I've read v2 is thinner than v1.

yup, it certainly is. I'm really happy with my v1 though. so after about a week it has finished learning auto-away which is great. it's still learning the auto-schedule and time-to-temp though after about a couple of weeks, is this your experience as well bosamar? maybe it's cuz I don't really fiddle with adjusting the temp too often as it's been so beautifully mild here lately?