What's new

Netgear Nighthawk R7000

raqball

Anyone have it? If so, any special settings for use with the SP3?

I've been wanting to upgrade my router and picked one up today.

DeltaXray

I use an R7000 at home and haven't set anything particular for use with the SP3. Once I put in the password for my 5ghz network it logs in every time without fail. No issues.

The R7000 does have exceptionally good range and the SP3 plays with it very well. I get stronger WiFi signal on SP3 than the MacBook Pro I replaced (both WiFi ac).

matt-helm

The only part you can really play with or tweak would be the QOS stuff... unless you flash it with custom DD-WRT firmware.

I returned my R7000 for the Linksys WRT1900AC. I found the Linksys had better range when dealing with my concrete radiant heat floors. FWIW...

mitchellvii

I have a big 6 bedroom house. My 82 year old mother lives in the guest room at the far end (she hated the old-folks home) and I've set up a 12 foot HD projector on her wall since she can barely see and having things super-sized helps.

The problem is the room has no Ethernet outlets and when she wants to watch Netflix on her Roku, something about that room is a black hole for wifi signal. You can literally stand outside the room and have full bars, walk 2 feet inside and 1 bar if you are lucky. I've tried those gadgets that use the house wiring for signal but they are sketchy at best.

What is the best router for blowing through these wifi dead spots?

wynand32

I have a big 6 bedroom house. My 82 year old mother lives in the guest room at the far end (she hated the old-folks home) and I've set up a 12 foot HD projector on her wall since she can barely see and having things super-sized helps.

The problem is the room has no Ethernet outlets and when she wants to watch Netflix on her Roku, something about that room is a black hole for wifi signal. You can literally stand outside the room and have full bars, walk 2 feet inside and 1 bar if you are lucky. I've tried those gadgets that use the house wiring for signal but they are sketchy at best.

What is the best router for blowing through these wifi dead spots?

First, good for you for taking in your mom. I'd love to do the same for my wife, but here in SoCal the biggest house we could afford only has three bedrooms (and two kids living at home). :)

Second, I'd try a range extender. Amped Wireless makes some that are supposed to be pretty powerful. They have AC models, and N models (obviously less expensive). That might give you the best chance at a good signal, since there's probably a limit to how much area a router can cover by itself given radio transmission power limits.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Make sure you update to the latest Firmware and you should have no issues....I get 866Mbps on 5GHz

OP
raqball

raqball

Thanks for the responses. I got it setup and updated using the web interface. So far it works great and my internet speeds feel faster..