What's new

Network doesn't see all computers

coflyer

After the recent November update, my network icon does not collect all the computers and information on my local network. I am using a wired connection; however the wireless connection doesn't change any of the results. I have even completed a Homegroup that I have never had to do before this update. All the computers on the local network can see the Surface Pro 3 and all it's contents but the Surface can't see any of them, let alone access them. Any ideas? I have been to MS support 3 times and none of their suggested fixes have worked but ran out of patience because they don't always read all the information that is provided that would alleviate 1/2 the questions and suggestions. So if anyone has networking experience and a thought I would love to hear it. I continue to check for system updates but there are none that have fixed the problem. Maybe the only remaining option is to do an "uninstall" of the last major update, although I don't know the complete implications of that action and I don't know which major update they are talking about. Help?

leeshor

Personally I don't feel rolling back is the solution. Just going to toss some stuff out here, has your network type changed, say from public to private? Did you install any 3rd party security software? Have you made any firewall changes? Can you ping the other systems by name AND IP?

OP
C

coflyer

No changes to the network name, nor public/private and Norton and been installed since I got the Surface.. I made sure that all the settings in Discovery were accurate. And BTW, I have the same issue prior to activating a homegroup. Nice thought though.

leeshor

Something in Norton, (you didn't say what type or version), may have changed. I suggest a disk check in case some security descriptors have been corrupted.

OP
C

coflyer

It is latest version of Norton Internet Security and it is and has been installed on all the computers from the start. No errors after do a scan on the drive.

leeshor

That's what I w as afraid of. I have had some strange things happen with NIS installed and as a result I'm not fond of it at all. In one case a customer didn't tell me he had installed it on his system but he couldn't, (in his case), access other computers or the Internet. I uninstalled all but the anti virus portion and all was good. My suggestion would be to try uninstalling it to see if it solves the problem. The settings are such that once something like that happens it's hard to figure out where the setting is that got changed.

I'm not saying that absolutely is the reason, just a hunch.