What's new

New and improved Chinese Surface - day 1 buy

OP
L

Liam2349

Previews from CES looked nice, but it IS Android and not available yet. meh.

I think it's a bit of a different Android, designed to look more like Windows. They straight-copied the Windows Mail app so it will be interesting to see how this goes with lawsuits, as I believe they plan to release this device in the US.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow, these guys are geniuses :D I presume their second effort will be an iPad copy after warming up on the Surface. They would probably get away with this in China but bringing it to the US will be their downfall. Yet, left unchecked they would probably sell a lot of them, peeps do love a bargain even if it is too good to be true. :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I forwarded this to the Surface Team when I saw the CES Press Release earlier.... they were a little taken back and laugh about imitation is the sincerest form of flattery....

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Makes you wonder though, how many other fakes are out there and how many problems are reported for fake devices.

kristalsoldier

Makes you wonder though, how many other fakes are out there and how many problems are reported for fake devices.

I remember having seen clones of the Surface 2 RT - also out of a Chinese shop. They seem to make very good - at least in terms of appearance - copies!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Tegra 4 is starting to get long in the tooth being two generations back now (succeeded by K1 last January and now the X1 this year) and it seems not the best choice for introducing a new device based on it at this time. I think they would be better positioned if they used the Tegra K1. I get the whole build it cheap thing however by the time they bring this to the US the Tegra 4 will be 3 years old and end of life. If they introduce in China with Tegra 4 at least do a refresh to K1 before the US and Europe rollout. Their vision for Android with familiar PC like functionality will be submarined with old technology just like all the Laptop/desktop Vendors selling their stale old tech year after year.

Last edited: