What's new

New firmware 4-9-13

tonyz3

New firmware out. At least this one was installed-- 9 parts without the crazy issues like the last one. I did end up unplugging monitors etc this time. Just the SP and power cord. IT is suppose to address the Limited conn issues. we'll see....

kristalsoldier

I believe the RT also got some updates today. At the moment, two Office 2013 updates are being installed. But while MJ from ZDNet says that the firmware updates which deal with wifi and connectivity issues are available, I don't think my machine has downloaded them (at least as of when I checked last, which was like 10 mins back). Though, I should add that - touch wood - I can't say that I have any issues with wifi and connectivity as of now.

OP
tonyz3

tonyz3

yep I got those office updates in addition to 9 other updates. I had a huge issue which resulted in a system refresh last time. so I was touching wood for 10 mins before everything went thru....

kristalsoldier

I just checked again - got 12 updates (around 104.9MB worth) including some Office updates (in addition to the two I was referring to earlier), 1 IE10 Flash player update and other Win RT updates!

Edit: A few days back, it was the third time I reset my RT. I had messed up something and thought it best to start from scratch! Its a real pain though - setting up the Start Screen just the way it was!

FFX

My RT feels faster, might be a psychological effect :) Lets see what you guys think.

bjornb

Patch tuesday and Surface Pro firmware update:
Surface Pro update history

April 2013 updates

April 9 release

The April cumulative update for Surface includes firmware and driver updates including:

Resolves an issue with on screen touch navigation in the UEFI boot menu.
Resolves some Surface Type and Touch cover connectivity issues.
Support for 106/109 keyboards on North American Surface devices.
Resolves an issue where toggling airplane mode would disable the Wi-Fi driver.

ZachBui

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 10 for Windows RT (KB2817183)
Download size: 13.6 MB
You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.
Update type: Important
-
A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.
-
More information:
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS13-028 - Critical : Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (2817183)

Security Update for Windows RT (KB2781197)
Download size: 2.8 MB
-
A security issue has been identified in a Microsoft software product that could affect your system. You can help protect your system by installing this update from Microsoft. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article. After you install this update, you may have to restart your system.
-
More information:
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS13-034 - Important : Vulnerability in Microsoft Antimalware Client Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (2823482)

Security Update for Windows RT (KB2808735)
Download size: 1.5 MB
-
-
More information:
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS13-036 - Important : Vulnerabilities in Kernel-Mode Driver Could Allow Elevation Of Privilege (2829996)

Security Update for Windows RT (KB2813170)
Download size: 2.5 MB
-
-
More information:
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS13-031 - Important : Vulnerabilities in Windows Kernel Could Allow Elevation of Privilege (2813170)

System Hardware Update - ?4/?9/?2013
Download size: 1.0 MB
These updates are released by PC manufacturers to help improve the stability and performance of PC hardware.

Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows RT (KB2833510)
Download size: 5.8 MB
-
This update addresses the vulnerability discussed in Microsoft Security Advisory (KB2833510). Security issues have been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise a computer running Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 8 and gain control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
-
More information:
Microsoft Security Advisory (2755801): Update for Vulnerabilities in Adobe Flash Player in Internet Explorer 10

Update for Microsoft Office 2013 (KB2760343) RT
Download size: 918 KB
-
Microsoft has released an update for Microsoft Office 2013 RT. This update provides the latest fixes to Microsoft Office 2013 RT. Additionally, this update contains stability and performance improvements.
-
More information:
Description of the Office 2013 update: April 9, 2013

Update for Microsoft Office 2013 (KB2767860) RT
Download size: 847 KB
-
Microsoft has released an update for Microsoft Office 2013 RT. This update provides the latest fixes to Microsoft Office 2013 RT. Additionally, this update contains stability and performance improvements.
-
More information:

Update for Microsoft Office 2013 (KB2810010) RT
Download size: 35.8 MB
-
-
More information:

Update for Microsoft Word 2013 (KB2768007) RT
Download size: 15.7 MB
-
Microsoft has released an update for Microsoft Word 2013 RT. This update provides the latest fixes to Microsoft Word 2013 RT. Additionally, this update contains stability and performance improvements.
-
More information:
Description of the Word 2013 update: April 9, 2013

Update for Windows RT (KB2800033)
Download size: 724 KB
Update type: Recommended
-
Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
-
More information:
Windows cannot be restored on a Windows RT-based, Windows 8-based or Windows Server 2012-based computer

Update for Windows RT (KB2822241)
Download size: 23.5 MB - 23.7 MB
-
Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
-
More information:
Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 cumulative update: April 201

Last edited:

J515OP

Super Moderator
My RT feels faster, might be a psychological effect :) Lets see what you guys think.

No significant change in my benchmark. Although it does appear that the Windows button is working for wake again :)

Nuspieds

Last month I reported an issue and their response was that they are aware of the problem as others have also reported it. With this firmware update, they have definitely fixed it.

The problem was that my Type Cover was non-responsive at boot/Surface logo screen when a USB device was connected. I use BestCrypt Volume Encryption to encrypt my C: drive; at boot, it prompts for a password on the Surface logo screen. My workaround was to slightly unplug the USB cable at boot, then as soon as I got the prompt, I'd start to type, then push back in the cable.

Mine is definitely faster as well in all aspects except internet browsing. Before the update I did a refresh and was pretty happy with the overall speed increase, especially the internet load times. Since the update my internet load times have slowed right down to where they were before I did the refresh. I don't have specific numbers for proof only my perception, particularly loading surfaceforums.net. Occasionally now when loading a large page I get an error at the bottom of the screen that says the page loading has too long of script and I am given 2 options; one to stop the script and two close the page. If I wait another 10 secs or so the error disappears and the page loads. I never saw that script error before the update, has anyone else seen it? Next time I experience it I will take a screen shot.