What's new

New Firmware - July 8, 2014

wynand32

It's 8:15 PM or so PDT here, and still haven't received the updates. A bit of a bother, really.

Klownicle

Release day owner, no update as of yet, installed the 6/19 only. Still running on factory drivers as the3 5/14 driver sucks for Bluetooth and wireless. What a pain to have to wait. At least provide a downloaded file gezz.

Edit; http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826

Shows the Surface Pro 3 with a July 2014 release. So perhaps that's the manual download link. Testing now but its a slow download.

Last edited:

Fu Chang

now its 12:18am 7/10 still no update. I quite like surface but man I hate microsoft. does it really take that long to post an update? I preordered and been buggy waiting for a damn fix.....tired of checking for update.

tuchas

Still no update here at 11:23pm CST. Slightly irked by the delay - some of the fixes listed I could really use.

JesseDiaz

Release day owner, no update as of yet, installed the 6/19 only. Still running on factory drivers as the3 5/14 driver sucks for Bluetooth and wireless. What a pain to have to wait. At least provide a downloaded file gezz.

Edit; http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826

Shows the Surface Pro 3 with a July 2014 release. So perhaps that's the manual download link. Testing now but its a slow download.
Well I downloaded manually a couple of days ago but haven't installed it waiting for it to appear on my UPDATE...got impatient and installed the Wireless driver....for me it was horrible...couldn't connect to anything...and noted that the driver version number is lower than the one I had installed. The July driver was 14.69....the one that I had from June was 15.68.3040.775. So I rolled back and now I get limited on 5ghz ...so I went to 2.4 ghz

The update decreased my battery life from 8.5hrs to now only 5! and I'm barely doing anything at all, screen brightness at 1/4. anyone else having issues with battery? I thought this update was supposed to increase battery life.

Klownicle

Well I downloaded manually a couple of days ago but haven't installed it waiting for it to appear on my UPDATE...got impatient and installed the Wireless driver....for me it was horrible...couldn't connect to anything...and noted that the driver version number is lower than the one I had installed. The July driver was 14.69....the one that I had from June was 15.68.3040.775. So I rolled back and now I get limited on 5ghz ...so I went to 2.4 ghz

You must have done something wrong, the wireless driver in that package is "DriverVer=06/03/2014,15.68.3042.79". At least for the "Surface Pro 3 - July 2014.zip" file... did you download the wrong one perhaps?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/deployme...ying-drivers-and-firmware-to-surface-pro.aspx

Use that guide to install your drivers/firmware.

Couple notes on the above guide;
-> 1. Execution policy for powershell scripts needs to be changed to Unrestricted for this to run.
-> 2. If you see Access is Denied messages it is because you didn't run as administrator.
-> 3. Not all drivers will install in that package so don't freak out if you see that occur.
-> 4. If you see a pause during the script execution, try and press enter.
-> 5. Once you run through this, a reboot is required although not prompted. When you reboot you will get the traditional a system update is being applied message. When I did this I heard my fan kick up speed. After reboot, I checked some of my drivers firmware and the wireless as an example has a date of 6/3 which is the official latest now.

All that said, I'm seeing an improvement on stability of the connections with both Bluetooth and Wireless N as to similar to what I had on my Surface Pro 1st Generation.

Last edited:

yonghong

The new firmware seems to fix my sleeping battery's problem, put it sleep for 4 hous just drained 1% battery ,pretty impressive.