What's new

New Firmware Update 9/29

ScottyS

Firmware update worked for me, but I'm bothered by one thing.
When I first saw these posts I went to Settings/Update and Security and it hadn't checked and downloaded it yet. I went to Advanced Options and checked Defer upgrades (I guess upgrades and updates are not the same) and picked Notify to schedule restart.
When I went back to "check for updates" it downloaded and installed it.
Why can't I check to see if updates are available, without them being automatically installed?

Red-Oak

Firmware update worked for me, but I'm bothered by one thing.
When I first saw these posts I went to Settings/Update and Security and it hadn't checked and downloaded it yet. I went to Advanced Options and checked Defer upgrades (I guess upgrades and updates are not the same) and picked Notify to schedule restart.
When I went back to "check for updates" it downloaded and installed it.
Why can't I check to see if updates are available, without them being automatically installed?

AMEN to this - I'd like a lot more control over updates and their installation.

Has anybody tried:

System Properties - Hardware Tab - Device Installation Settings
"Do you want Windows to d/l driver software and realistic icon for your devices?"
Yes, do this automatically (recommened)
No, let me choose what to do

TBH - I'm not smart enough to know if this related to this matter or not.

kristalsoldier

Installed the update. As reported here (I think), I had to reboot twice for the update to kick in. My SP3 is functioning just fine. Btw, there was a period of time where the device had all the fans on. And it was warm to touch too. Now things have settled down and the device is silent and cool to touch.

Kif

I had similar issues and had to reboot my system twice. Everything is now working as expected except my update history shows it failed. Windows Update isn't offering it again so I'm not really sure of it's ultimate status.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.5 KB · Views: 462

mwillett01

Well this update has bricked my SP3 :( It's stuck in a loop about DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS. Looks like I'm off to try and google a way out of that but will probably spend my day reloading. Hopefully that works.

I am having the same problem. I would appreciate any help anyone has on resolving this. I can't do anything with my SP3.

Red-Oak

I had similar issues and had to reboot my system twice. Everything is now working as expected except my update history shows it failed. Windows Update isn't offering it again so I'm not really sure of it's ultimate status.

Same here.

Reactions: Kif

Richard Blaine

I am having the same problem. I would appreciate any help anyone has on resolving this. I can't do anything with my SP3.
Same problem here, too. (Arrghhh!)

I had updated and shutdown this afternoon. A short time later, I was set to give a business presentation. Booted up, and no computer! Thank goodness I had put the presentation on a USB drive, and could run it from my host's computer.

I ended up resetting my SP3 using the code obtained by logging in the my Microsoft account from another computer. It's doing the reset as I write this. I'll probably lose all my apps and have to spend hours reloading them. At least I won't have lost my files on OneDrive and Dropbox.

This is WAY beyond annoying! It's the first serious problem I've had with my SP3 after a year of heavy use. Microsoft should be completely ashamed to release an update that bricks even one computer!!

dleuen

Same problem here, too. (Arrghhh!)

I had updated and shutdown this afternoon. A short time later, I was set to give a business presentation. Booted up, and no computer! Thank goodness I had put the presentation on a USB drive, and could run it from my host's computer.

I ended up resetting my SP3 using the code obtained by logging in the my Microsoft account from another computer. It's doing the reset as I write this. I'll probably lose all my apps and have to spend hours reloading them. At least I won't have lost my files on OneDrive and Dropbox.

This is WAY beyond annoying! It's the first serious problem I've had with my SP3 after a year of heavy use. Microsoft should be completely ashamed to release an update that bricks even one computer!!

I just ended up creating a new Windows 10 USB installer and chose to keep personal files. Now the pain of reinstalling everything. I could find no way to get it past the driver error. I hope somehow Microsoft gets wind of this. If this many people just on this forum are having the issue its probably really bad out in the wild.

Vanguard

DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS. Then is goes into reboot loop

I had the same issue had to recover from USB on Win 10 just when I had my system perfect..