What's new

New Firmware Update 9/29

Nicola

More than an update, an adventure....unplugged Pro 3 from charger to use it, it shut off. Turned it on, unplugged it again, it shut off again - did this several times.
What concerns me is if I put a backup image on the drive, it will probably install the update and start the cycle all over again.
Hopefully somebody will have an answer in the near future.
FWIW - OS is Win 10 RTM, I believe build 10240
Good point!
I had almost no problem and I'm on 10547.

emeritus

Same issue here. But I can fix. How to do.
When it boot to recovery, enter UEFI setting (fn + f8. windows key doesn't do anything.) enter safe mode and simply restart. Now It should boot correctly.
Here it's picture that I have lestst Marvell Wireless version.
By the way. I am Thai person.

Are there others who have succeeded using mickey36736's method?

leeshor

Same issue here. But I can fix. How to do.
When it boot to recovery, enter UEFI setting (fn + f8. windows key doesn't do anything.) enter safe mode and simply restart. Now It should boot correctly.
Here it's picture that I have lestst Marvell Wireless version.
By the way. I am Thai person.
Welocme to the forum

Safe mode is one of the first things I would have tried too. Good work.

Doomofman

I am living in fear now. So I started having issues with my Surface late last night. Started hanging, eventually blue screened and rebooted and seemed to be going fine, notice I kept waking up during the night to find the screen on (not sure if it just woke up or rebooted entirely, I was tired and didn't pay much attention.) Eventually after the 3rd or 4th time I just switched it off entirely when I left for work this morning. From what I'm reading here I'm worried it might not come back on when I get home to try it.

Did everyone elses get stuck in a boot loop immediately after the update or was it only when you shut down again afterwords?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm un 10547 and the firmware updated successfully and applied the first update and then rebooted and applied the second. I thought I was having Bluetooth issues but it appeared to be caused by DuOS, uninstalled and Bluetooth is working as expected.

leeshor

@jnjroach your idea about what anti virus is being used is a possible key to several other issues. In your case it was DuOS but I wonder what other apps people could be using that are interacting poorly with the OS in general and the updates in particular. It's a tough thing to diagnose without more information about the general software in use.

I have had a customer who has had 3 systems in his office locking up 3-5 times a day. A key was that they never locked up while he was using them. As strange as it may sound it was a stock Windows screen saver causing the problem. It was probably an interaction with some other software installed on his systems but even if it wasn't the direct cause of the lockups they stopped when he disabled the screen saver.

Ya never know.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
@jnjroach your idea about what anti virus is being used is a possible key to several other issues. In you case it was DuOS but I wonder what other apps people could be using that are interacting poorly with the OS in general and the updates in particular. It's a tough thing to diagnose without more information about the general software in use.

I have had a customer who has had 3 systems in his office locking up 3-5 times a day. A key was that they never locked up while he was using them. As strange as it may sound it was a stock Windows screen saver causing the problem. It was probably an interaction with some other software installed on his systems but even if it wasn't the direct cause of the lockups they stopped when he disabled the screen saver.

Ya never know.
Screen saver or Personal Information Saver malware ala xcodeghost... This new vector is not likely to have been only used against Apple but if it was it will be coming to a PC near you in the future. :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Ironically I loaded DuOS as an experiment for my wife, as she didn't want it on her SP3 ;) Luckily for me her disdain for Android runs as deep as mine so she abandoned it quickly :D

dagncl

I had my Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10 bricked last night with the blue screen too - ended up refreshing but leaving my personal files, first real problem with SP3 or Win10.