New here - and have a Office 2013 issue.

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro' started by revelated, Feb 26, 2013.

1. revelated

revelated New Member

I work in IT so I'm not numb to it, but this is straight bizarre.

I have a 64GB Surface Pro that I bought to evaluate personally. In my world, I would not use a tablet to run VMs or do anything heavy; my laptop or my iMac would serve those functions just fine. But I wanted something I could install any basic app or video program on. I can always do a microSD card, the internal drive is well enough for programs if I relocate the backup package.

Anyway, I take advantage of Microsoft's Home Use Program which gets you Office Professional Plus 2013 installable on two devices for $10 - a steal. I installed it just fine, or at least thought so, but none of the apps except Lync will actually run. OneNote, Excel, Word...none of them run. Yet, on my laptop running 8 Pro, the same Professional Plus works perfectly fine.

Now, I'm thinking something got botched somewhere, because I can't do the repair nor the uninstaller. It just sits at Step 2 endlessly and never does anything.

The stub installer that's on the machine when you first load it up where you can try 365 or enter a key - I did that first, it didn't seem to do anything. So then I downloaded the actual installer and ran that to install it. Methinks somewhere in there something got jacked up.

Any ideas? My next step is to try and restore to before I did the install and run it through.

2. J515OP

J515OP Super Moderator

My Device:
    RT
    Restore is a good option. You might also want to contact MS customer support.

3. Chung

Chung New Member

So, when you went to digital river to grab your d/l, you may notice that it's a web installer. if you run the installer on an older computer, it will stream and install office 2013... I found out this the hard way because I tried to stop the damn thing but it kept going.

On the Surface Pro though, there is a "trial" version of office 2013 installed already that if you run the digital river web installer, it simply convert the "trial" version into a fully version. So if nothing runs, it's probably because the key is invalid because of installs/reinstalls. just call MS for support on your license key

4. polbit

polbit Member

My Device:
    Other
    I have the same setup - 64Gb Pro, and Office 2013 through HUP for $10, and it works perfect, not one glitch during install or use. I would definitely call MS Support.

5. revelated

revelated New Member

So I'm doing the full restore which is rumored to be a reinstall, and I'll see if that makes a positive difference. If not I'll just return it for now.

EDIT: so the full restore seems to have worked and all Office apps appear to be functioning as expected. Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  6. jnjroach

jnjroach Administrator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
  7. Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie Active Member

I understand the Surface Pro comes with Office 2013 Trial version ... is that correct?
    I have Office 365 on my desktop ( this machine ) so what do I do when my Pro arrives ( tomorrow )?
    I want to have Office 365 on the Pro as well as my desktop.

8. bosamar

bosamar Well-Known Member

My Device:
    RT
    You can have Office 365 Home Premium on 5 PCs. To install on PCs 2 thru 5 just sign in to office.microsoft.com and you will see the download/Install option right there.

9. Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie Active Member

Thanks for the response, bosamar. Question is though, should I remove the Office 2013 trial via the Control Panel before installing Office 365, or just let it install on top of the current installation?

10. bosamar

bosamar Well-Known Member

My Device:
    RT
    I'd leave it until after 365 goes on. It might share some stuff.

11. Kiwibru

Kiwibru New Member

I had to uninstall the trial version on my Pro before I could get the d/l app to actually bring down the Office app. The MS web system actually prompted this. Once I did this and re-ran the install it was fine.

12. Cowboy

Cowboy New Member

That click-to-run stuff can be a nightmare. If you are going to install any regular Office products the first thing you should do is uninstall click-to-run!!!