What's new

new intel driver

macmee

I'm not sure if I want to keep my experience consistent with whatever Microsoft pushes to my device, or if I want to live dangerously and use other drivers, unendorsed by Microsoft for our use.

HarnessTech

I'm not sure if I want to keep my experience consistent with whatever Microsoft pushes to my device, or if I want to live dangerously and use other drivers, unendorsed by Microsoft for our use.

So far, I'm not having any trouble with the Intel drivers, even on this machine which is awaiting a box to be returned. I have two external monitors hooked up and am using those plus the Surface's own screen. The update went without a hitch (unlike today's MS updates) and all is well thus far. The Surface seems to be running cooler in general but I can't say whether or not that's due to the Intel drivers or today's MS updates (or both).

macmee

So far, I'm not having any trouble with the Intel drivers, even on this machine which is awaiting a box to be returned. I have two external monitors hooked up and am using those plus the Surface's own screen. The update went without a hitch (unlike today's MS updates) and all is well thus far. The Surface seems to be running cooler in general but I can't say whether or not that's due to the Intel drivers or today's MS updates (or both).
Thanks for the followup, I guess I'm slightly tempted now!

cemian

those that have installed this driver have you noticed an increased use of the fan? seems like after i updated the driver the fan is always on...

Knuck

So far the new Intel drivers seem to work fine. The only issue is when you install the new updates the drivers revert back to March and look horrible. If you uninstall those drivers in device manager and select to delete them you will be prompted to reboot. When you reboot the new intel drivers automatically install.

No unusual increase in fan operation on my system (17/256)

Stephan

Is it safe to install it ? (as we got a message when we click on setup saying that this driver has not be validate by Microsoft)

Knuck

Is it safe to install it ? (as we got a message when we click on setup saying that this driver has not be validate by Microsoft)

I haven't had any issues with the Intel drivers. Having the ability to use the Intel Graphics Display Control Panel is necessary imo to achieve proper brightness and contrast settings although it is a little confusing to install.