What's new

new intel driver

mohcho

Well, I tried it again and manually added the new driver to the list of installed drivers and it seemed like it worked, but the driver revision on the device manager still only shows 10.18.10.3907

Intel Driver 10.18.10.3907 Version.PNG

Knuck

Don't run the installer. Download the .zip file, extract it, and update the driver from the device manager.

http://lifeisabug.com/installing-latest-intel-hd-graphics-driver-microsoft-surface-pro-pro-2-pro-3/

You can actually run the exe file after you unzip it but you have to delete the SP3 drivers first. The benefit of doing it this way is that you get the Intel HD Display Graphics Control Panel program which I find to be very useful.

To do this:
1. Download the most recent zip file of the 64 bit Intel drivers for your Surface (ie HD5000 for the i7) from the Intel Download Center
2. Extract it to a location that you will remember but don't install it yet. If you try to install it now you will receive thWhene error message
3. Open Device Manager and double click Display Adaptors
4. Double Click on the only driver that is listed
5. Select the Dr.iver tab at the top menu
6. Select Uninstall and the Confirm Device Uninstall window will pop up
7. Check the box for delete this driver software for this device
8. Restart the computer and login as normal
9. Go to the folder where you extracted the Intel display drivers and double click setup.exe and follow the instructions and the new drivers are installed. (Can't remember if it asks you to reboot or not.)
10. After the installation finishes open the Intel HD Display Control Panel, which should now be on your desktop if you selected this option during the install, and select Display and then select Color Settings to adjust your contrast and brightness settings. You can use your favourite black level and white level patterns to adjust these values.
11. Shortly after you have installed the new drivers Windows will advise you that there are is a new Hardware Update. Make note of that specific update because you don't want to install it in future updates. Don't install it and uncheck that specific update before installing future updates. It is important that you do not have automatic updates as your update choice. I selected download but let me know before installing.
12. Unfortunately this process has to be repeated when Microsoft includes new display drivers if you want to use the Intel Download Center ones. I check the HD5000 driver version after all major updates to see which version has been installed.

Last edited:

Lobo

@Knuck thanks for the detailed instructions!

Right after the installation a new Update showed up (System Hardware Update 09/09/14) which rolled back the audio and video drivers, is that normal? Should I just hide and ignore it?

Knuck

@Knuck thanks for the detailed instructions!

Right after the installation a new Update showed up (System Hardware Update 09/09/14) which rolled back the audio and video drivers, is that normal? Should I just hide and ignore it?

Sorry I should have warned you about that. I'll edit my instructions above. Every time you update the Intel driver, Windows Update will prompt you to reinstall the old driver. You don't want to do that. Go to device manager and see if you have the current Intel driver version 10.18.10.3907. You probably have the old March 2014 version. If you have the old version repeat the uninstall process and check the remove driver box again. When you reboot the 10.18.10.3907 version should be there again. If its not then rerun the setup.exe from your extracted folder but you shouldn't have to do that. You don't want to have automatic updates set. I selected download but ask me and I simply uncheck the Hardware Update that comes up right after the Intel install. Hope that makes sense.

Fast-T

Anyone having installed the 3907 graphics driver noticing a hit on the battery compared to the MS driver?

Got an extra hour on battery by applying the battery saving features of the Intel drivers. Noticed a bit of screen flickering but my average battery life went from 5:30 to 6:30. Do a lot of office and desktop mode stuff and I think this is the area where the driver really makes a difference

Lobo

@Knuck Thanks a bunch, worked as per your instructions! :)

N.B.: Just noticed my Bluetooth LE-Enumerator displays an exclamation mark, not sure where that comes from.

Edit: Enumerator issue gone after reboot.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I tested the updated driver, it did seem to impact battery life, I was seeing about 1-1.5 hours decreased battery life, it did seem more responsive on the SP3 main display but its Miracast Performance was horrendous made everything very fuzzy not crisp at all and higher lag (which I have seen using this specific adapter for a long time), rolled back the driver and battery life is back and more importantly for me Miracast is back to being very crisp and no discernable lag....