What's new

New Intel drivers posted today (4080)

Arizona Willie

Thanks for the link.

Had to uninstall original driver and then I got it installed.
Now I have the Intel Control Panel.

Unfortunately, it still won't mirror to my Sony UHD TV. :mad:

I see a 3D setting in the Control Panel.

Is this SP I even capable of 3D?

Otherwise I see no change from before I installed the new driver, but then I probably wouldn't.

I was < hoping > the new driver would fix the mirroring problem but no such luck.
In fact, it seems worse than before. With the old driver I could sometimes get the Start Screen to mirror to the TV but it only lasted for a second and then something cut it off. I figured there was a setting somewhere doing it and hoped the new driver would be ok but no luck.
Now I can't even get the Start Screen to flash on the tv.

Strangely, the tv shows up in the Devices and Printers panel but they won't connect.
But when I tell the SP to mirror the TV responds and goes into mirroring mode waiting for a signal.
They both seem to recognize each other but won't cooperate.
They must be married. :(

Metalman

Thanks for the link.

Had to uninstall original driver and then I got it installed.
Now I have the Intel Control Panel.

Unfortunately, it still won't mirror to my Sony UHD TV. :mad:

I see a 3D setting in the Control Panel.

Is this SP I even capable of 3D?

Otherwise I see no change from before I installed the new driver, but then I probably wouldn't.

I was < hoping > the new driver would fix the mirroring problem but no such luck.
In fact, it seems worse than before. With the old driver I could sometimes get the Start Screen to mirror to the TV but it only lasted for a second and then something cut it off. I figured there was a setting somewhere doing it and hoped the new driver would be ok but no luck.
Now I can't even get the Start Screen to flash on the tv.

Strangely, the tv shows up in the Devices and Printers panel but they won't connect.
But when I tell the SP to mirror the TV responds and goes into mirroring mode waiting for a signal.
They both seem to recognize each other but won't cooperate.
They must be married. :(

All that I have found on the web is that Sony works best mirroring with android devices.

I went through all this when I got my Surface also.

Sony controls what device can connect to their TV’s. They have their own hardware for mirroring.

I have a Samsung note 8 and it connects every time.

Arizona Willie

Yeah, I had already come to the conclusion that Microsoft wants to FORCE us to buy their Adapter.
It was obvious my SPI had the capability to mirror to the TV or the Start Screen would never have appeared there at all.
Something stopped it after one second .... like it said ... " hey wait a minute you aren't allowed to do that ".
The tv is obviously waiting and willing to mirror any signal it gets but is not getting the signal from the Surface.
The tv responds when I tell the SP to project because it switches screens and goes into mirroring mode and says it is waiting for the signal.

This appears to be a deliberate DOWNGRADING of the capabilities of the SP in order to sell adapters.
Done on purpose.

As much as I hate Apple it really makes me wonder which is the worst company.

I still have my old Xoom tablet from Motorola -- an android device -- but it seems it won't upgrade to the newest software and, apparently, has no mirroring capability but that doesn't surprise me as old as it is.

All that I have found on the web is that Sony works best mirroring with android devices.

I went through all this when I got my Surface also.

Sony controls what device can connect to their TV’s. They have their own hardware for mirroring.

I have a Samsung note 8 and it connects every time.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I had already come to the conclusion that Microsoft wants to FORCE us to buy their Adapter.
It was obvious my SPI had the capability to mirror to the TV or the Start Screen would never have appeared there at all.
Something stopped it after one second .... like it said ... " hey wait a minute you aren't allowed to do that ".
The tv is obviously waiting and willing to mirror any signal it gets but is not getting the signal from the Surface.
The tv responds when I tell the SP to project because it switches screens and goes into mirroring mode and says it is waiting for the signal.

This appears to be a deliberate DOWNGRADING of the capabilities of the SP in order to sell adapters.
Done on purpose.

As much as I hate Apple it really makes me wonder which is the worst company.

I still have my old Xoom tablet from Motorola -- an android device -- but it seems it won't upgrade to the newest software and, apparently, has no mirroring capability but that doesn't surprise me as old as it is.
Willy - you're blaming the wrong party....it Sony that needs to Whitelist the Surface Devices, most (if not all) Miracast Adapter ODMs whitelist devices and or components that the manufacturer has tested for compatibility. The Surface line works with Netgear, Belkin, ScreenBeam and many other adapters besides the Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter.

Here is what that looks like:

Firmware Editions for the PTV3000:

Early Firmware:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22773
Supported Miracast platforms:

• Samsung Galaxy S3 (Android 4.1.1 or above)
  • Samsung Galaxy Note II
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
  • LG Optimus G (Android 4.0.4 or above)
  • Google Nexus 4 (Android 4.2.1)
  • Sony Xperia (various models with Android 4.0.4 or above)

Later Firmware:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23982

Supported Miracast platforms:

• Amazon KindleFire HDX 7"
  • Amazon KindleFire HDX 8.9"
  • ASUS MeMO Pad FHD 10 (Android 4.4.2 or above)
  • ASUS Nexus 7 (Android 4.4.2 or above)
  • Google Nexus 4 (Android 4.2.1 or above)
  • HTC One (Android 4.3 or above)
  • HTC New One (Android 4.3 or above)
  • LG Optimus G (Android 4.0.4 or above)
  • LG Nexus 4 (Android 4.4 or above)
  • Samsung Galaxy S3 (Android 4.1.1 or above)
  • Samsung Galaxy S4 (Android 4.2.2 or above)
  • Samsung Galaxy Note II (Android 4.1.2 or above)
  • Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (Android 4.1.1 or above)
  • Sony Xperia (various models with Android 4.0.4 or above)
This is an example of the Whitelisting....

Daniel Weck

Great, thank you for the heads-up!
The Intel HD Graphics Control Panel lets me dim the display luminosity all the way down for night-time reading / working (I find Windows's own brightness slider's zero-position too bright).
Note that I've used F.lux to change the hue as well (less blue, more red), so now I might configure a HD5000 profile instead :)