What's new

New Intel Drivers release by Microsoft for Surface Pro 2

GoodBytes

New Intel drivers has been released for the Surface Pro 2 running Windows 10, make sure you have it installed via Windows update.

If you do already have it, or just installed it, did you see any improvement on the device?

Nuspieds

Nope, it was a disaster. I had three external monitors now I can only use two.
I have three externals as well: Two via daisy-chained DP and the third via USB.

They have always all worked; however, the chronic problem has always been wake-from-sleep: Unpredictable configuration changes. For example, I'd lose one or more monitors, switch to low-resolution, switch from extended Desktop to duplicated Desktop, etc.

I am extremely surprised by this because I always expected Windows 10 to have superior multi-monitor support. This functionality has certainly--and significantly--degraded from Windows 8 to 10. There are numerous reports across the web that document these multi-monitor issues, so they definitely are real and are not unique to just a few individuals.

On the DisplayLink site, there's some finger-pointing going on regarding the drivers and who's at fault for the DL driver issues. In my limited testing, when I removed the DL software/configuration and only used my two DP monitors, I didn't have any issues.

I'm convinced that there definitely is a conflict of some sort when the DL drivers are loaded. Still, I'm not willing to give up my third monitor, so I carry on, hoping for a fix that will be issued sooner or later. Today I downloaded and installed a new version of DL drivers and so far, so good, but definitely not holding my breath. :)

I used to reboot to fix my wake-from-sleep display problems but I eventually discovered a command-line utility that enables me to essentially shutdown and restart the display drivers. I created a script and placed it on my taskbar. Now, when I wake from sleep and my display setup is messed up, I just click on the icon and my correct display setup is re-established.

OP
G

GoodBytes

The problem is not Windows 10. It is Intel drivers. The buggest problem is that Intel treats its graphics chip as a free solution. So minimal amount of effort is put into it, limited resources is also given. It will most likelly take a long time before everything works. Nvidia and AMD already have their drivers near perfect.

Nuspieds

The way I look at it is as follows:
  • I own a Microsoft Surface Pro 2;
  • It was built with Intel components inside;
  • Running Windows 8.x, my SP2 had no issues with my three external monitors;
  • Microsoft releases a Windows upgrade: v10;
  • I install the upgrade;
  • Running Windows 10, my SP2 is now experiencing all sorts of issues with my external monitors.
The good news I have to report, though, is that so far--since the latest DL driver update--I haven't experienced any issues! I know it is still early, but let me tell you that the problem occurred so frequently and my SP2 has been in and out of sleep so many times since the update (it is set to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity).

I would say that, on average, 9 times out of 10 when it woke from sleep it would have the external monitor issue. So the fact that 24 hours later and several wake-ups and no signs of the issue, then that is certainly encouraging! :D

To be honest, even if the problem is reduced and not fully eliminated, I'd still be happy because it is very annoying.

Tsurugaya

I finally solved it by uninstalling DisplayLink including its core software, and then reinstalling it and activating monitor, lo and behold it seems to be working again.

AlbusD

I can't get the Intel drivers to install (grrr). I downloaded the file from the Intel site:

win64_15407.4279.exe dated 9/1/2015

It returns the message "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer."

My system is a Surface Pro 2 (Core i5-4200 CPU 1.6 GHz). The Microsoft site says it uses the Intel HD Graphics 4400.
---------
What started all this is that since upgrading to Windows 10, I can no longer connect to a projector using the DisplayPort with an adapter to VGA. It used to work like a champ with Windows 8.1. Two models of projector now aren't even seen. No image. I had to use a backup Windows 7 laptop when teaching a class this week.

BTW, my Win 10 Device Manager for the Intel HD Graphics Family says:

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (code 43)."

I tried uninstalling it and rebooting. Problem returns. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Am I alone in this? Can anyone shine a light on the problem?

Eternal gratitude awaits the guru who can solve my problem. :(

LuckyL

I can't get the Intel drivers to install (grrr). I downloaded the file from the Intel site:

win64_15407.4279.exe dated 9/1/2015

It returns the message "The driver being installed is not validated for this computer."

My system is a Surface Pro 2 (Core i5-4200 CPU 1.6 GHz). The Microsoft site says it uses the Intel HD Graphics 4400.
---------
What started all this is that since upgrading to Windows 10, I can no longer connect to a projector using the DisplayPort with an adapter to VGA. It used to work like a champ with Windows 8.1. Two models of projector now aren't even seen. No image. I had to use a backup Windows 7 laptop when teaching a class this week.

BTW, my Win 10 Device Manager for the Intel HD Graphics Family says:

"Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (code 43)."

I tried uninstalling it and rebooting. Problem returns. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Am I alone in this? Can anyone shine a light on the problem?

Eternal gratitude awaits the guru who can solve my problem. :(

The installer won't work, instead, you need to download the zip package, unpack and install the Driver manually via Device Manager:

Installing the latest Intel HD Graphics Driver on Microsoft Surface Pro, Pro 2 and Pro 3 - lifeisabug.com

AlbusD

LuckyL:
Thanks for the help. But I tried this and it doesn't work. I think I have to pay Microsoft for some tech support on their hardware running their operating system.

It's not right, but it is true. :(

AlbusD

UPDATE and SOLUTION
I spent almost two hours online with Microsoft Support yesterday (kudos to Jayson R). In a remote session he went through everything I had done to correct the Intel HD Driver error message (Code43) in the Device Manager, which, apparently, prevented the Surface Pro 2 from connecting to any external display.

He was at wits' end and about to kick my request higher (so far, no money changed hands, BTW) when I tried one more "what the h***" attempt. The SurfPro2 running Win 10 could not connect to an external display through its DisplayPort via an adapter to VGA. I tried another adapter I had that connects USB to VGA. That didn't work either, but Win 10 started an automatic update to drivers called "Trigger External Graphics Family" the moment I connected the external display to the USB-VGA adapter. That new version is 15.04.0909, by the way.

When I restarted, both USB-VGA and DisplayPort-VGA adapters worked. The display options returned to Windows 10 (display 1, display 2, extended display, duplicate display) AND my ability to adjust screen brightness on the SurfPro2 returned. Moreover, now the Device Manager showed the Intel HD Drivers were working properly.

Now I'm happy with Windows 10 on the SurfPro2, but what a royal PITA!