What's new

New introduction and a OneDrive question

camin

New introduction and one drive question hello I am new to the group. I have an older surface which I like a lot. I use it mostly when I go traveling. My problem is my one drive is making my surface hard drive full . I thought the purpose of one drive was that all my documents would be stored in the cloud and I would have space on my hard drive. I searched the threads but it appears a lot of the information is outdated, can anybody tell me why my hard drive is full when the only documents I have on my surface are my one drive documents. I have deleted everything possible and I still do not have any hard drive space left. Any assistance would be appreciated .

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
New introduction and one drive question hello I am new to the group. I have an older surface which I like a lot. I use it mostly when I go traveling. My problem is my one drive is making my surface hard drive full . I thought the purpose of one drive was that all my documents would be stored in the cloud and I would have space on my hard drive. I searched the threads but it appears a lot of the information is outdated, can anybody tell me why my hard drive is full when the only documents I have on my surface are my one drive documents. I have deleted everything possible and I still do not have any hard drive space left. Any assistance would be appreciated .
Welcome to our enthusiast's forum. Which OS is you Surface Pro running?

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome

Welcome to the Microsoft Surface Forums Camin. OneDrive can be slightly confusing - I recently assisted a small business that in order to save money, had purchased laptops with smaller Solid State Hard Drives. Upon linking OneDrive to their laptops - the OneDrive started downloading the 200+Gigabytes locally onto their laptops, eating up all the free space, having the opposite effect they had hoped for. I was able to resolve this for them within Windows 10 - Please, as time permits, pass along your current operating system and I will gladly show you how to store your OneDrive Data on the "Cloud" only - thus freeing up the space taken by OneDrive.

Vivmeister911

Hi Camin, Sorry for the delayed response. Im gonna share my solution to the very similar experience.
I was able to save space on my SP4 by redirecting ALL cloud files such as one drive (personal and office), and google drive to the SD card slot.
I purchased a 200GB Micro SD card, and it works like a charm. Obviously, I make an extra back up on an external hard drive , of my entire system but as well of all my cloud services.

Let me know if you need any help.