What's new

New iphone owner - how do you integrate with the Surface Pro 3

jrhillma

It is interesting to me to see so many people jumping on iPhone, as I'm considering going the other way. I have a work-provided iPhone 5 and while I do get calendar and email just fine, that's about all I use the phone for (well, iMessages and SMS texting, too). The camera on the iPhone is horrid, compared to a friend's Nokia (920 I think, but I don't know) and despite having a whole slew of apps and games installed, I almost never use/play them. Fascinating.

mmoran27

After more than a year using a Nokia Lumin 810 I decided to by an iPhone. The reason simple, neither T-Mobile or Microsoft is releasing the WP8.1 for my phone. So it's time to move to a company that at least release updates more consistently.

My question is, any tips or advices.

Things that I use a lot.
1- Pictures on my phone sync with Onedrive automatically.
2. Office Lens to Scan and save to OneNote. Any equivalents for iPhone?
3- I use my phone as AP for my SP3. Can I do that in in iPhone 6?

Intent of thread - "I wanted to know how SP3 owner integrates their iPhone to Microsoft ecosystem specially SP3 owners."

All of the Microsoft office apps are available for iPhone. I use the onedrive app to back up by iPhone camera roll. MS gives you 15Gb for that. Other than that and ITunes, there is not much integration like on the Mac. Things like handoff, continuity, etc will only work on the Mac with Yosemite.

mmoran27

It is interesting to me to see so many people jumping on iPhone, as I'm considering going the other way. I have a work-provided iPhone 5 and while I do get calendar and email just fine, that's about all I use the phone for (well, iMessages and SMS texting, too). The camera on the iPhone is horrid, compared to a friend's Nokia (920 I think, but I don't know) and despite having a whole slew of apps and games installed, I almost never use/play them. Fascinating.

Get a Windows Phone then. You will regret it. MS is famous for ditching the Windows Phone platform along with anything else that doesn't sell well like Zune, MS Play, etc.

mmoran27

One thing, I want to keep using Live to my contacts, calendars, etc. I don't want to use anything relative to Apple ecosystem.

my goal is to integrate the iPhone to Microsoft no the other way around.

MS Live stuff already syncs with iPhone. Contacts, Calendars, etc. Just add as Outlook account.

mmoran27

Mmoran27, I think you are behind the times in regard to BlackBerry. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...s-narrows-tops-estimates-amid-turnaround.html CEO John Chen is a master at turning around companies on their deathbed.

Um yea.

http://slant.investorplace.com/2013/08/blackberry-stock-bbry-apple-aap/
Mmoran27, I think you are behind the times in regard to BlackBerry. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...s-narrows-tops-estimates-amid-turnaround.html CEO John Chen is a master at turning around companies on their deathbed.

Blackberry is DEAD - Stick a fork in it. Their market share is now 0%.

http://gizmodo.com/were-not-dead-yet-says-blackberry-and-launches-a-fact-1597726841

daniielrp

After more than a year using a Nokia Lumin 810 I decided to by an iPhone. The reason simple, neither T-Mobile or Microsoft is releasing the WP8.1 for my phone. So it's time to move to a company that at least release updates more consistently.

My question is, any tips or advices.

Things that I use a lot.
1- Pictures on my phone sync with Onedrive automatically.
2. Office Lens to Scan and save to OneNote. Any equivalents for iPhone?
3- I use my phone as AP for my SP3. Can I do that in in iPhone 6?

Intent of thread - "I wanted to know how SP3 owner integrates their iPhone to Microsoft ecosystem specially SP3 owners."

I'll just reiterate what is already said, but from someone wh0 has used an iPhone for almost 2.5years, and had 3 different surfaces (RT, SP2, SP3).

1. OneDrive app will do everything you need with photos.
2. OneNote can do this already.
3. Access point is already in built.

But what about live account?

Just add it as an Outlook or Exchange account. It will do Mail, Contacts, Calendars and Notes flawlessly.

Another question. Now I have iTunes installed in my desktop. Should I install it in my SP3? I hate iTunes.

I use iTunes on a Mac, and it's perfect. I have not installed it on my SP3 due to resolution/DPI issues and general terrible-ness of the Windows port.

The only thing I EVER use it for anyway is music sync, but this can be via Xbox Music app on iOS now anyway if you subscribe to this.

Also a fun read - just shows you how much of a 'Windows' Ecosystem you can get from iOS, and they've added a lot more apps since then! Just search for Microsoft in the App store and you'll see the effort MS put in to iOS!

annabanana

The first link is over a year old and the gizmodo article is 3 months old. BlackBerry may not have market share in the US, but it's still very popular in other parts of the world. It is not dead, no matter what you and US tech bloggers say, and most of them are very much biased toward Apple.

Len J

Live Account is the old name for the Microsoft Account, it is the account used to log into Outlook.com, OneDrive and other Microsoft Services...

I've actually got two one-drive accounts, one tied to my original MS account, and one tied to my business and my office 365 SBP subscription .

I don't shoot many pics w the iPhone.

Len

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've actually got two one-drive accounts, one tied to my original MS account, and one tied to my business and my office 365 SBP subscription .

I don't shoot many pics w the iPhone.

Len
OneDrive for business is not tied to your Microsoft Account, it is tied to your work account associated with the Office365 Subscription. Also OneDrive for Business is what was once Groove (Ray Ozzie's old Company before it was bought by MS). OneDrive for Consumer is built on top of Azure Storage Services.

mcsenerd

Another question. Now I have iTunes installed in my desktop. Should I install it in my SP3? I hate iTunes.

Frank, I don't know if anyone responded to you or not on this, but I too despise iTunes, especially in Windows. I don't have it installed on any of my Windows machines (although I do have Macs available to me should I need to use it). In any case, there are very few things that you will absolutely need iTunes for, and if you need music syncing for your phone/device, there are tons of media managers that run on Windows and work with iOS.