What's new

New iphone owner - how do you integrate with the Surface Pro 3

Walkop

Personally, I'm curious why you didn't simply go with a reputable Android device manufacturer if you wanted long device life and integration with Windows. iOS isn't really known for integration with anything but itself. They have some flexible APIs in place, but you are limited in so many ways and the OS is so complicated (strange to say, but many tasks that should be simple have complex workarounds—iOS is only getting basic integration features Android has had for years, and they're not nearly as comprehensive as of yet) that it can cause issues across platforms.

Take the Moto X. Google directly updates Google Play Services and all the major system apps through the Play Store. 90% of features come through these venues, and devices that are years old get many of THESE features. Google Play Services goes pre-Gingerbread, if I'm not mistaken. That's old.

Even considering that, Motorola has a fantastic record of OS updates as of late, and the software optimization is top-notch. Faster in real-world use and more reliable than iPhone. If you don't trust Motorola, go Nexus.

Although you would sacrifice the fantastic hardware Motorola has been building, you still get a great device.

Intents let you send almost anything to any app (be it OneNote or OneDrive), including from a file manager. iOS8 has a similar feature, but that's iOS8; developers need to support it, and that's going to take a LONG time to see reasonable adoption. Still lacks Android's deep level of integration.

The iPhone is an absolutely fantastic device, fast and well-built with a solid featureset, but IMO it is quite limited for what you're aiming to do and you can achieve more for less with a different platform. I probably won't change your mind, but it simply isn't the best device for your purposes in my opinion. If you had a Mac, maybe.

I won't talk about email, but the stock Android Email client is one of the best around, and supports Microsoft email accounts quite well. You can always change the default client to any you want, unlike iOS. You're stuck with what you have, which isn't necessarily bad.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
OneDrive can be set to sync in the background for WiFi or cell. If you have an unlimited data plan, that is a wonderful solution.

This works so well, that my lovely wife knows to delete photos she doesn't like taken on my iPhone from the phone, AND from the OneDrive app [eyeroll] .Amazingly easy to do.

For my part, I like every picture of her, so I don't delete much. [repeat eyeroll].

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

Personally, I'm curious why you didn't simply go with a reputable Android device manufacturer if you wanted long device life and integration with Windows. iOS isn't really known for integration with anything but itself. They have some flexible APIs in place, but you are limited in so many ways and the OS is so complicated (strange to say, but many tasks that should be simple have complex workarounds—iOS is only getting basic integration features Android has had for years, and they're not nearly as comprehensive as of yet) that it can cause issues across platforms.

Take the Moto X. Google directly updates Google Play Services and all the major system apps through the Play Store. 90% of features come through these venues, and devices that are years old get many of THESE features. Google Play Services goes pre-Gingerbread, if I'm not mistaken. That's old.

Even considering that, Motorola has a fantastic record of OS updates as of late, and the software optimization is top-notch. Faster in real-world use and more reliable than iPhone. If you don't trust Motorola, go Nexus.

Although you would sacrifice the fantastic hardware Motorola has been building, you still get a great device.

Intents let you send almost anything to any app (be it OneNote or OneDrive), including from a file manager. iOS8 has a similar feature, but that's iOS8; developers need to support it, and that's going to take a LONG time to see reasonable adoption. Still lacks Android's deep level of integration.

The iPhone is an absolutely fantastic device, fast and well-built with a solid featureset, but IMO it is quite limited for what you're aiming to do and you can achieve more for less with a different platform. I probably won't change your mind, but it simply isn't the best device for your purposes in my opinion. If you had a Mac, maybe.

I won't talk about email, but the stock Android Email client is one of the best around, and supports Microsoft email accounts quite well. You can always change the default client to any you want, unlike iOS. You're stuck with what you have, which isn't necessarily bad.
I bought an Android phone as soon as Google released the first one.
1) When you buy an Android phone you get OS upgrades for about a year. After that you are or your own installing God knows what.
2) A lot of malware and bad applications in their store.

daniielrp

I bought an Android phone as soon as Google released the first one.
1) When you buy an Android phone you get OS upgrades for about a year. After that you are or your own installing God knows what.
2) A lot of malware and bad applications in their store.

In addition, Apple have an enormous advantage in that they control when a device gets updated.

Android, and unfortunately Windows Phone updates are controlled by the carrier, who could be fast-ish, but judging by stories I read about U.S, carriers they seem to drag their heels so much you may as well upgrade to the next model rather than wait.

One exception would be a Nexus, but they've not announced a new one and that series future is a big question mark at the moment.

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

In addition, Apple have an enormous advantage in that they control when a device gets updated.

Android, and unfortunately Windows Phone updates are controlled by the carrier, who could be fast-ish, but judging by stories I read about U.S, carriers they seem to drag their heels so much you may as well upgrade to the next model rather than wait.

One exception would be a Nexus, but they've not announced a new one and that series future is a big question mark at the moment.
my android phones were nexus, they also depend on the carriers decision.

OP
ctitanic

ctitanic

Really?! That's disappointing.
So disappointing that now I'm telling an iPhone after transitioning to Windows Phone which has the same problem. Only Apple is releasing updates to old devices that they are not selling anymore.

cemian

To set the record straight, there have been 9 reports (out of 10 MILLION iPhones) of bent phones. Consumer Reports did a scientific study of how much force it takes to bend an iPhone (as well as several Android phones) and the iPhone was at the low end but outperformed the HTC One and beat its design specs that Apple tests to. Here is their report: http://bit.ly/1xq2qu8

#BendGate is a non-issue. If you don't want an iPhone, don't buy one.[/QUOTE

Sure looks like an issue to me...
enjoy! :)
p.s. wow did that bend easily lol