New Kid on the Block

Discussion in 'New Member Introduction & Site Assistance' started by yalden, Dec 13, 2012.

1. yalden

yalden New Member

Hi all,

I'm not yet a Surface owner but it's fast approaching my 30th birthday and what better way to celebrate than to treat myself to a new bit of kit!

My only real hesitation comes to the fact I've not had a chance to even see one being operated, let alone have a go myself! If anyone is local to Plymouth, Devon I'd love to come and have a trial!

My other reservation is whether to go for an RT or wait out for the Pro. I'm sure I can pick up on the pro's and con's of both after a bit of searching...

Thanks,

Chris

2. J515OP

J515OP Super Moderator

My Device:
    RT
    Welcome Chris. There are some good video reviews here and lot of information. We still don't know a lot about the Surface Pro but many people are finding the Surface RT more capable than they originally thought. Unless you need Outlook and macros in Office, a digitized pen or to install legacy programs chances are the Surface RT will do what you need.

JP

3. smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13 Administrator Staff Member

Hello and welcome aboard Chris!

4. mrasmussen

mrasmussen New Member

MS should have distributed the devices to a few more retailers than just their stores. It's happening now, so hopfully you'll get a look at one soon. Once you spend a little time with the device you realize how nice it really is.

I was thinking about the pro as well but the ability to remote into my home server from the surface has me thinking the surface would be perfect. Plus the cost is a bit easier to swallow. Good luck.

5. TrentonT

TrentonT Member

I am assuming GB with the "Devon" bit. Don't know if MS has a Brick and Morter near you. I love mine have tried several different Tablets over the last while but this one is becoming part of my life style.
    Do not forget Microsoft has a 30 day no question return so buying site unseen is not so much of a risk here.

Good luck

6. yalden

yalden New Member

I'm not overly fussed with Outlook. I suppose I'm leaning towards the Pro with a hope that it'll have the ability to run mainstream games (skyrim?) which I could then control with a bluetooth mouse / USB keyboard and display on my Monitor? Effectively I'd like to be able to work on the go, but play as per a PC whilst at home. I suppose I'm looking for a laptop/PC that can be carried around in Tablet format when out and about!

I certainly hope so! I'm keen to have a trial on either an RT or Pro.

7. cali

cali Member

Welcome to the site.