What's new

New SP3, Driver issue and update issue

TheBR

Hi Folks,
I just took delivery of my SP3 yesterday, it seems to work perfectly, but, i have a couple of issues which are making me wonder if its faulty.

Firstly, in Device manager the Surface Pro Touch Controller Firmware has a yellow triangle next to it, from what i have read and seen this is usually caused by faulty hardware but everything works. Online i only see people complaining that, from new, after the first firmware update their device does, the touch screen stops working completely and you're left with a non working screen - yet mines is fine. So im left wondering if this is just a bug and a lot of people simply haven't noticed.

Can i ask if anyone else who has a perfectly working SP3 check their device manager for the Surface Pro Touch Controller Firmware status under Firmware?

I've pretty much reset and then factory reset and reinstalled everything several times now and it always ends up the same. Interestingly, prior to the first firmware update from reset state the Surface Pro Touch Controller Firmware does not exist and i see no errors in device manager.

Secondly in Windows update, the last System Firmware Update on the 28th Oct (which does NOT appear to have a new Surface Pro Touch Controller firmware within it) also shows as Failed (error code 8024CE0A) , and i don't seem to have any option to attempt to re-install - again this happens consistently even after a full factory reset.

Any ideas what i should do here?

I'm thinking this might need returned, but, bar the firmware updates its working perfectly so it seems daft.

Help!

malberttoo

Hi Folks,
I just took delivery of my SP3 yesterday, it seems to work perfectly, but, i have a couple of issues which are making me wonder if its faulty.

Firstly, in Device manager the Surface Pro Touch Controller Firmware has a yellow triangle next to it, from what i have read and seen this is usually caused by faulty hardware but everything works. Online i only see people complaining that, from new, after the first firmware update their device does, the touch screen stops working completely and you're left with a non working screen - yet mines is fine. So im left wondering if this is just a bug and a lot of people simply haven't noticed.

Can i ask if anyone else who has a perfectly working SP3 check their device manager for the Surface Pro Touch Controller Firmware status under Firmware?

I've pretty much reset and then factory reset and reinstalled everything several times now and it always ends up the same. Interestingly, prior to the first firmware update from reset state the Surface Pro Touch Controller Firmware does not exist and i see no errors in device manager.

Secondly in Windows update, the last System Firmware Update on the 28th Oct (which does NOT appear to have a new Surface Pro Touch Controller firmware within it) also shows as Failed (error code 8024CE0A) , and i don't seem to have any option to attempt to re-install - again this happens consistently even after a full factory reset.

Any ideas what i should do here?

I'm thinking this might need returned, but, bar the firmware updates its working perfectly so it seems daft.

Help!

Hi BR, welcome to the forum.

If you have truly done a full reset (completely reinstalled Windows) and you still have the issues, then I'd say there's some kind of physical problem. You say it's working fine though, so it's really up to you- just keep using it until it becomes noticeably broken, or get it replaced now.

Frazzle

Hi All,

I'm having exactly the same issue with my SP3. The device is brand new and during the second set of windows updates I noticed the 28/10/14 Firmware Update had failed.

Everything still works fine, but the Touch Controller Firmware now shows a code 10 error in device manager. I've tried updating, uninstalling and manually installing the drivers several times, which triggers the firmware update message at boot, but this causes the system to enter a series of 5 or 6 reboots. After this Windows starts and the device is shown with a code 14. I've found that this happens again on the next 2 reboots and then the system seems to stop trying to update the firmware and the device goes back to a code 10.

Looking at the firmware versions for the other devices, the update has applied fine to everything else.

I'm a bit stuck with this one, as BR said it seems silly to return it when there isn't really a problem, but I think that might be the only option.

Thanks

OP
T

TheBR

Well,
That's basically what i did and then decided to return it, the way i look at it is that I tried many, many things and nothing made it take. Then i get it confirmed that it works fine with others on here and im thinking i just paid a small fortune for this device and i shouldn't be having these issues, it should just work, so i returned it yesterday for a replacement.

Nothing i tried worked and i'm not taking a risk with such a big outlay.

Frazzle

I've finally had some success with this!

I was just getting ready to box it up to take back tomorrow for an exchange and realised the only thing I could think of that I hadn't tried was to update the driver when the battery was at 100% charge with the power cable attached.

I manually updated the drivers via Device Manager, restarted and noticed that while the update didn't apply first time, the reboot loop was half the usual length (3 reboots), so restarted again once it had booted into Windows. This time the pre-boot update progress bar stayed on the screen for much longer than usual and eventually completed. The code 10 error is now cleared and everything seems to be working fine.

To be extra sure I've done a full factory reset and have let firmware update install via Windows Update, which this time succeeded (although it didn't actually appear to do anything, as I'm guessing it detected that all the firmware is already at the latest version).

OP
T

TheBR

Congrats,
I did wonder if it was something along these lines, but, my SP3 was plugged in and had been all the previous night when i had reset it completely back to stock by rebuilding it. So, IF this is the case, MS is being super restrictive when it comes to flashing firmware if it does indeed require a full 100% battery and being on power.

I wonder if my SP3 was reporting 99% at fully charged etc, preventing the firmware flashing.

Also, annoyingly there was no option to even try to reinstall the firmware anyway - it simply said "failed".

Either way, like i said, i shouldn't have to jump through these hoops to get it working so its on its way back for a replacement.

Cask

I am having the same issue, tried everything, installing the firmware which fails after several restart, on battery, fully charged on AC power, with type cover on or off. I get first error 14 in device manager, then after three restarts it becomes error 10. Tried uninstalling the driver, reinstalling, updating the driver to the ones I downloaded from Microsoft site.......NOTHING WORKS
I bought it at vacations in the USA which mains exchanging the device difficult (it is not officially sold in my country). It doesn't seem to affect functionality, however like some previous poster said, after spending so much in a premium device I expect everything to work as supposed and not give random errors. It might work ...NOW, but who knows what might happen down the road for example when Windows 10 is released?

I am now trying bringing it back to factory state and start from there.......let's see if I get better luck with that.

Cask

It seems to be working now, progress now is slowly filling up, fingers crossed, at first I thought it was stuck, but it is progressing VERY slowly.............. hope it doesn't freeze there as don't want to make things worse (At least it was working previously haha)

Cask

Success!!!!! Got really nervous, but here is what worked. Here is what I did exactly:
1. Selected the remove everything option and reinstall Windows.
2. After it was done reinstalling the factory image, I put my Microsoft ID, I selected to setup as a new computer (my previous setting were restored from a Pro 2 I had and before that from an Old DELL computer, so I thought that might be causing some issues).
3. Went to Windows update, installed the first mandatory update. Then went through the list of updates and only selected the firmware update.
4. Downloaded and prompted me to restart. The first reboot went fairly fast so I thought it had failed.
5. The second reboot I did after checking device manager worked. This is where I got very nervous as the progress bar stayed like 10 minutes moving very slowly, at first I thought it had froze.
6. Then it stayed for a long time waiting for the Surface logo, no progress bar or anything. I got even more nervous, after 5 minutes I didn't now if it would come back but it did. Went back to a setting up devices and it worked!! finally!

Izmo

I've finally had some success with this!

I was just getting ready to box it up to take back tomorrow for an exchange and realised the only thing I could think of that I hadn't tried was to update the driver when the battery was at 100% charge with the power cable attached.

I manually updated the drivers via Device Manager, restarted and noticed that while the update didn't apply first time, the reboot loop was half the usual length (3 reboots), so restarted again once it had booted into Windows. This time the pre-boot update progress bar stayed on the screen for much longer than usual and eventually completed. The code 10 error is now cleared and everything seems to be working fine.

To be extra sure I've done a full factory reset and have let firmware update install via Windows Update, which this time succeeded (although it didn't actually appear to do anything, as I'm guessing it detected that all the firmware is already at the latest version).

Thanks Frazzle for this post. It gave me belief to continue trying. I bought type cover after a month using my SP3. Connected it and did not work at all. I went to settings (8.1 OS) and the error was that because I used mobile phone as hotspot, it did not manage to finish setting up type cover 'coz payable connection.

Well next I hooked up to normal wifi and tried to finish the setup. that is where the problems started. No error message on 8.1 OS side but type cover was not working. Checked the info on good old Windows lookalike Device manager and there it was, error 10 on Surface Pro Touch Controller Firmware. Restart to fix this, then SP3 tries to update firmware when starting up. Tried those same tricks as described by everyone in this topic, nothing helped. Removing driver, restarting, vol Down + Power 15sec stuff etc. Error message changed between 10 & 14 depending was the keypad connected or not and rebooted many times to see the firmware update bar never reaching the end.

But the charger connected 100% battery power kept me hoping that its a worth trying. At first it did not help and I started to be sure it did not do the trick. But I kept trying and removed type cover, removed driver, connected type cover (while in Device manager). I am not sure what the correct order is but text, error 10/14 restart needed to fix this, was there. So once again restart and now when restarting, the firmware update bar was staying there much longer time. And finally, after rebooting, the type cover comes to alive. Seems to work perfectly but lets see how long.

So if the first installation of type cover is somehow messed up, the repair is hard to get done.
I did not install Windows as new, I didn't went to restore points back.
It is just to have battery full and charger connected. And removing the Surface Pro Touch Controller Firmware and connecting the type cover in right moment and use the Device manager, and crossing your fingers that during reboot, firmware update lasts longer than just a couple seconds.

It should not be so difficult to have a brand new type cover functional in a month old SP3. Shame on you MS.