What's new

New SP3 Kickstand Wiggle

tskwara

Hi All-

I just bought an SP3 i5/128 from BestBuy last night and immediately started going through MS updates.

One thing I noticed right away is that there seems to be some play in the kickstand, and I don't know if this is normal. The first 20 or so degrees has very little to no friction, then friction engages and the stand seems to stay at the desired angle quite well. With that being said, regardless of position, the stand can wiggle freely along the axis of rotation to about 5mm either way. On closer examination, it seems the hinge mechanism shock absorbers (thats what I call them) is where the play is.

Anyone else notice this?

One might say this is nit picking, but it is strange. As a result of the wiggle, in a quite room I can hear the hinge 'slop' when I pick up and set back down the SP3 (kickstand set to some arbitrary angle with friction engaged).

Lot #1446.

Thanks guys!

kristalsoldier

Based on what you describe, I can say that my SP3 does not exhibit this. I bought mine on June 20 and have been using it ever since - every day - for on an average 8-10 hours per day.

That said, if you think it is bothering you and/ or is impeding your experience of using the device, you may want to get it replaced. And, since your device is very new, you can get it exchanged or replaced. If I were you, I would not compromise on the user experience. The device is expensive and you should be happy with what you get.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Microsoft refused to replace mine due to this exact issue, i sent them a video and all. The rep said that the unit they had used for months didn't do this, but perhaps it would wear itself in. It's exactly the same (and has encountered new and fun issues as well). If i had a store near me, that is to say a single one in this country, i'd have taken it back for return, then re-purchased.

That's my one. that's not flicking back due to me bending it or anything, if i lift it, and let go, it drops enough to make an audible sound. Microsoft were not too concerned, and to be fair, it doesn't effect the use and has not gotten any worse, the other problem is much more annoying, but unrelated, i think.

OP
tskwara

tskwara

I read an article where someone compared the tiny slop as being designed in. At first this didn't make sense but then it started to sound like the issue Nintendo had with their 3DS early-on, where the hinges were breaking. The fix apparently involved adding a tiny bit 'play' in the hinge - its on every 3DS I've seen recently (we're a Nintendo family :)

Mine wobbles a bit before engaging and there is some slight play when past the first 20 degrees or so. Doesn't really bother me since it's sturdy when in use. I've noticed there are other ones like it at the Microsoft store.

kevinlevrone

One thing I noticed right away is that there seems to be some play in the kickstand, and I don't know if this is normal. The first 20 or so degrees has very little to no friction, then friction engages and the stand seems to stay at the desired angle quite well. With that being said, regardless of position, the stand can wiggle freely along the axis of rotation to about 5mm either way.

Everything you describe is perfectly normal, keep calm :)

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just noticed this on mine just now, push it to a position but there's a few mm play in it, I'm not worried about that as it stays in position OK.

bluegrass

The exact amount of wiggle is hard to describe. I would go to a local MS store if there is one and if not got to Best Buy. I would than check out a couple of the Surface 3's and see if yours is a lot different. That way you will know for sure if you should get a replacement.

OP
tskwara

tskwara

I just checked at my local Best Buy and all six display units have the same range of play, so it seems possible this could be by design. As a product designer, I know sometimes you can't economically eliminate something undesirable - like a parting line in an assembly. Instead of trying to eliminate the line (difficult and expensive), just add a beveled edge to make the parting line stand out. It ends up with better aesthetics with no increase in cost. Maybe MS designers know over time the hinges may loosen up just a bit naturally, so instead of having a perception of 'wearing out', they start out with some play designed in. Through product testing they also could have found longer time before failure using this approach - just sayin.

Anyway I think I'm good to go - thanks for the feedback!

Yep, all of them have it. I went through 5 SP3's, each one had the wobble at certain angles. Feels like a rush job more than design decision imo - look at the HP Envy x2 at best buy to see a kickstand hinge done right. Firm friction at every angle, wider, and has a soft/rubber layer on the bottom so it doesn't get scratched up like the SP3's. I expect to see MS copy this hinge on the SP4.

OP
tskwara

tskwara

I'll admit that's one sweet hinge on the HP. The build quality seems quite high - although I'm not a fan of the screen aspect ratio (16:9). The features and value offered are impressive.