What's new

New SP4 firmware out

JeffGr

Anyone else not get the update yet? I've been checking Windows Update frequently on my SP4 since the announcement yesterday and have yet to see any updates. I know that they stage these, but is it normal for it to take this long to make it to some devices? Trying to decide whether I should contact support or not. The download on Microsoft's site for a manual install is still the January update, so that isn't yet an option either.

Yillbs

I'm getting perfect sleeping habbits now. Then again, I can't recall i ever got super bad ones. I'm certainly digging thebetter battery life. someone noted earlier that MS basically throttled the CPU, that's accurate, seems they did. However i had already setup a power scheme to only run the CPU at 20%, i turned on netflix, and got a total of 10 hours out of it ( just netflix, nothing else ). This includes going to sleep last night, and waking up and binge watching again. So the sleep feature plus changes, plus my power scheme seemed to do the trick for me

Yillbs

how safe is it to get this update?
Very, I'm thinking more was done than just the sleep battery problem. I've been running a battery report daily for the last two weeks, I've been getting an average of about 4 hours, and 5 minutes, highest being 5 hours, lowest being 3 hours and 22 minutes. After last night, I got 6 hours, and 15 minutes today, that's of continuous usage. That includes playing one full round of counter strike in 1080p, one video on youtube, about 10 app downloads, and surfing, reading with screen at 75% brightness.

Ravi1969

Updates were downloaded and installed in a single session. It was a much faster download than I expected for a firmware update. My speed at home varies between 236/400 MB/s depending on where I am. Just to be sure I rebooted twice and checked for more updates. Sleep function seems to work very well, without any noticeable loss of battery life. The SP4 I have has been very enjoyable from day one, and has become better over time. I'm hooked into this Eco-system.

Last edited:
OP
wynand32

wynand32

So far, my experience since the updates hasn't been terribly positive. I was not able to get my SP4 to consistently sleep this morning--I'd close the Type Cover and come back after a time, the back would be warm to the touch and battery life was burning at a 6-7% clip. Also, if the fan is running and I try to put it to sleep, the fan never stops--presumably, this means it isn't sleeping.

So, I thought I'd perform a factory reset following just to ensure there were no conflicting drivers or such. After the Settings reset failed and the SP4 went into an endless loop, I create a USB restore disk and used that to perform the reset. Now, I'm not finding the SP4 to sleep at all as far as I can tell, and when the screen goes off and I try to recover it, the SP4 won't wake up. I need to perform a 2-button shutdown to restart. This has happened twice.

So, either the update is flawed, or my SP4 is. Not terribly happy as one can imagine.

Last edited:

Echrada

I received the update yesterday morning, and everything went smoothly, last night I put my Surface Pro 4 to sleep at 7pm and just woke it up, 8.50am - last night at time of going to sleep 60% now 57% - a drop of 3% in more about 14 hrs. NOT BAD!

JB474

Experiences after two days: battery defintely better and a lot of things seems more stable. But not every problem is solved. still have these BSOD with this by driver related 'anodlwfx.sys' problem. Does somebody have an idea how to get rid of this issue?
Overall, a more happy experience at this time.