What's new

New Surface Pen Issues

While hovering, the pen is very quick while tracking when not around the edges. However, when about 1/2-3/4 inch away from the edges, the lag significantly increases. It's really not bothersome, but I'm wondering if other people are having this issue. If I'm the only one, I will do an exchange.

OP
S

Sher the Love

I'm also having issues where my pen stops working. A restart usually helps, but not always. I've even replaced the battery. Still having issues. I've also tried taking the battery in and out (like restarting the pen) and that hasn't worked any time, which leads me to believe it's the tablet itself. I don't see a yellow triangle in device manager anywhere.

If anyone can report on the lag issues or the pen intermittently pen not working, it would be greatly appreciated.

OP
S

Sher the Love

I hate to be that annoying impatient guy that bumps up his thread, but can someone please hover their pen over their screen and see if they get significant hover lag around the edges but not anywhere else? The MS Store is about 50 minutes away to do an exchange and I have time today if needed.

Again, the lag itself doesn't bother me, but if it isn't normal and there is some underlying issue, then I need to do an exchange.

Also, I haven't had the pen stop working again since reinstalling the stock display drivers. I installed the Intel ones to get rid of that annoying battery saving feature that changes the contrast of the screen randomly. Not sure if it's a coincidence or not.

OP
S

Sher the Love

Just gave it a spin. Hovering is definitely slower near the edge vs the middle of the screen.

Thanks, that makes me feel much better.

Now hopefully I don't have any more pen dying issues. I've never had the regular Intel drivers affect anything on a Surface before. Hopefully my pen not responding after the battery change was a fluke and I can go back to the Intel drivers.

OP
S

Sher the Love

Just for extra reassurance, I just tried this too and the pen response around the perimeter of the display is definitely much slower than elsewhere.

Thanks. As long as my pen doesn't intermittently stop working again, I think this one is a keeper :)

I always have terrible luck with defective devices...

Player002

I just got off the phone with Microsoft support and the issue of intermittent pen not writing is a "known issue" according to MS. My pen only works reliably after a fresh restart of the tablet, otherwise is less than 50/50 reliable. They said they are working on it and will keep me posted. I will be returning my device within the 30 days window if no fix in the next couple weeks.
I can still bring up OneNote by clicking the eraser, even when the pen won't write.
I hope they fix this because I want to keep this SP4 otherwise, cost me two grand

OP
S

Sher the Love

I just got off the phone with Microsoft support and the issue of intermittent pen not writing is a "known issue" according to MS. My pen only works reliably after a fresh restart of the tablet, otherwise is less than 50/50 reliable. They said they are working on it and will keep me posted. I will be returning my device within the 30 days window if no fix in the next couple weeks.
I can still bring up OneNote by clicking the eraser, even when the pen won't write.
I hope they fix this because I want to keep this SP4 otherwise, cost me two grand

How often have you have your pen stop? I haven't had any issues with it since Monday night. I had originally thought it was the Intel graphics drivers I installed on Monday, but I reinstalled a recently updated version of them last night and still haven't had any issues. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Player002

Well I've only had it 24 hours so far and needed to restart for this issue I think 6 times. So its been pretty often

Player002

In my 2nd 24 hours, I only had it happen 1 more time. It was fine one minute, then I noticed the screen go blank for 1 second glitch for no apparent reason... then after that my pen would not write. Makes me think its a driver issue??