What's new

New Surface Pro (2017) Official Thread

Cuchulainn

I have been on the fence about the i7. I do photo work, but not video. I really like the idea of a fanless design, and also the cost of course; but I would like to have 512G SSD. I have only another day to return, so will likely keep the i5. Plus, the migration of a month's configuration would be quite a pain.

I felt a little of what you were saying about the touchpad for the first couple of days that I used it, and not sense. I chocked it up to training my muscle memory. Like I said, I've been on the road for a week and didn't even pull my Surface Arc (which is a great mouse by the way) out of the bag once. I do like a sensitive trackpad and it feels similar to my MacBook trackpads to me. Did you try turning off the touch to click feature to make you have to click for a click? Not sure if you'd like that better.

Thanks to the admin team for adding the forum!

It is worth consideration, if you don't mind the cost and the setup/configuration pain. I thought going from the fanless to fan design would be a bigger deal than it is, thinking it might be noisy, but surprisingly it is not. I don't have any experience with the Surface Pro 4 or 3, but the fan in the 2017 is said to be much quieter than the previous generations.

I am sure someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the 512G SSD is a faster Samsung model than the 256/128 SSD's. So with that model you would get the i7 processor, the 640 Iris Plus graphics, more RAM and the faster and larger capacity SSD. All at a heavy price premium of course :)

I will look further at the touchpad settings. The funny thing is that the issue seems to have gotten work over time. I exchanged the first keyboard, because it was doing the same thing. I tried the second one out in store and I thought "perfect!" and now after a week or so it is doing the same. Now weather it is because I am tying on it in more varied situations than the hard desktop at the store, I am not sure. It is definitely much more sensitive than what I am used to on any of my MBP's, and I do like having touch to click turned on for those. Maybe I will experiment with disabling it on this one, or just keep working through it and see if I adapt. Perhaps it is me that needs to be retrained, not the keyboard. Well at least I am probably more capable of learning than the keyboard is anyway, one hopes :)

OP
convergent

convergent

I ended up staying with the i5... still running great. Did my first travel with it last week and was quite pleased with everything... usability, performance, battery life, inking, and portability.

It is worth consideration, if you don't mind the cost and the setup/configuration pain. I thought going from the fanless to fan design would be a bigger deal than it is, thinking it might be noisy, but surprisingly it is not. I don't have any experience with the Surface Pro 4 or 3, but the fan in the 2017 is said to be much quieter than the previous generations.

I am sure someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the 512G SSD is a faster Samsung model than the 256/128 SSD's. So with that model you would get the i7 processor, the 640 Iris Plus graphics, more RAM and the faster and larger capacity SSD. All at a heavy price premium of course :)

I will look further at the touchpad settings. The funny thing is that the issue seems to have gotten work over time. I exchanged the first keyboard, because it was doing the same thing. I tried the second one out in store and I thought "perfect!" and now after a week or so it is doing the same. Now weather it is because I am tying on it in more varied situations than the hard desktop at the store, I am not sure. It is definitely much more sensitive than what I am used to on any of my MBP's, and I do like having touch to click turned on for those. Maybe I will experiment with disabling it on this one, or just keep working through it and see if I adapt. Perhaps it is me that needs to be retrained, not the keyboard. Well at least I am probably more capable of learning than the keyboard is anyway, one hopes :)

Post your Crystal Disk Mark benches. My 256 GB gets about 1600 MB/s and 850 MB/s writes

Crystal Disk Mark PM971.PNG

Last edited:

Cuchulainn

Okay, assuming CrystalDiskMark 5.2.1 is correct, looks like 1688 MB/s and 955 MB/s write

Edit: I will have to try to post a screen shot later. I am traveling and in a hotel room atm. Photobucket no longer works for posting links without paying their ransom, so will need to find another way to post it later on :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Thanks for the post. The writes are a bit better probably due to more NAND cluster. In real life, it's actually bottlenecked by the CPU when performing compressing and decompressing files.

Cuchulainn

Thanks for the post. The writes are a bit better probably due to more NAND cluster. In real life, it's actually bottlenecked by the CPU when performing compressing and decompressing files.

That could be, I don't know enough about the technical side of that to know how much the Kaby Lake CPU 's bottleneck when performing compressing and decompressing. I recall reading something about the 256 and 512's being different manufacturers. They 256 being Toshiba while the 512 was Samsung and that the Samsung scored a little better in synthetic benchmarks. But that is about the extent of my "knowledge" in that and I am not even sure if that is 100% accurate.

Milanyo

Hello everyone! I am using a Surface Pro (July) 2017. To address this problem, the Microsoft contact center (the agents were fantastic and very helpful) worked with me (4 visits) to reset the computer. It worked after that. When I detached the cover again to use the unit on tablet mode, and I re-attached the cover after, it will not work again. I re-started, still not working. I shut down, and re-started it worked. I had to shut down and turn on the unit several times before I got my cover to work.

The agent suggested that I return the unit. Unfortunately, I am out of the USA now. I am now afraid to remove the cover. This defeats the purpose of buying a Surface Pro. If this is a software issue, will returning the unit solve this?

Any one out there with the same issue?

This never happened to me with the SP 3. Aside from the heating up, SP 3 was perfect. I think I should have followed my intuition to wait until the manufacturer had sorted out most of the issues.

OP
convergent

convergent

Hello everyone! I am using a Surface Pro (July) 2017. To address this problem, the Microsoft contact center (the agents were fantastic and very helpful) worked with me (4 visits) to reset the computer. It worked after that. When I detached the cover again to use the unit on tablet mode, and I re-attached the cover after, it will not work again. I re-started, still not working. I shut down, and re-started it worked. I had to shut down and turn on the unit several times before I got my cover to work.

The agent suggested that I return the unit. Unfortunately, I am out of the USA now. I am now afraid to remove the cover. This defeats the purpose of buying a Surface Pro. If this is a software issue, will returning the unit solve this?

Any one out there with the same issue?

This never happened to me with the SP 3. Aside from the heating up, SP 3 was perfect. I think I should have followed my intuition to wait until the manufacturer had sorted out most of the issues.

Sounds like something is wrong there. I've not had this problem and not read in any forum about anyone else having it. Have you tried doing a full software reset (back to factory settings) which should take care of any software or driver issue that might have cropped up?

Wevenhuis

Hi, Does anyone know:
1. where I can find the battery capacity specs. I found SP4 = 36 Wh, but the SP(5) 2017?
2. Does anyone use the SP 5 with the surface dock? If so any problems with charging as what is seen with the SB2?