What's new

New Surface Pro (2017) preorders

convergent

I have not pre-ordered anything from Microsoft before. What should I expect? Will this thing likely arrive on June 15 or day before, or will it ship on June 15 and I get it a few days later? Will I get some shipping notice a few days before with tracking? I don't see anything in the Microsoft Store for my order that indicates status or anything.

When I originally pre-ordered I was expecting to be out of town all next week. Now that trip got canceled and I'm wishing I'd pre-ordered for store pickup. If I don't hear anything by the 15th, I will probably go to the Microsoft Store and try to get one there... would be cool to see the hoopla of the launch too.

To the moderators, are we going to get new forums here for the new Surface Pro and Laptop? Things seem to be scattered all over right now.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Typically delivered to you on launch day usually between 9 AM - 2 PM in my experience....

CrippsCorner

No one's going to be at home on the 15th :( guess I'll get it at the weekend then! (unless DPD deliver, who give an hour slot so I can run home and be in)

OP
convergent

convergent

Typically delivered to you on launch day usually between 9 AM - 2 PM in my experience....

Does anything update in the Microsoft Store during the process? Does it change from "preordered" to "shipping on....." to "shipped" with tracking number? Or will it just show up on the 15th with no other information prior?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Does anything update in the Microsoft Store during the process? Does it change from "preordered" to "shipping on....." to "shipped" with tracking number? Or will it just show up on the 15th with no other information prior?
I've seen it both ways - first tip it shipped is they charge your card...

OP
convergent

convergent

My credit card just got charged... I have notifications on Amex. I ordered the i5/8G/256G with the keyboard, and the pen separately. In the Microsoft Store, my order now shows ordered for the SP, but the keyboard (same order) and pen both still say pre-ordered.

rockface

Interesting,
The MS site still says "Pre-ordered - Available on 6/15/2017 "
The bank was charged Monday (yesterday morning) and still says "Card Hold / MICROSOFT *STORE MSBILL.INFO WAUS. Release Date 06/15/2017"

mugarte18

I have not pre-ordered anything from Microsoft before. What should I expect? Will this thing likely arrive on June 15 or day before, or will it ship on June 15 and I get it a few days later? Will I get some shipping notice a few days before with tracking? I don't see anything in the Microsoft Store for my order that indicates status or anything.

When I originally pre-ordered I was expecting to be out of town all next week. Now that trip got canceled and I'm wishing I'd pre-ordered for store pickup. If I don't hear anything by the 15th, I will probably go to the Microsoft Store and try to get one there... would be cool to see the hoopla of the launch too.

To the moderators, are we going to get new forums here for the new Surface Pro and Laptop? Things seem to be scattered all over right now.
Received mine today.... i had a pre order from microsoft, Canceled it. Received it from other store i ordered it from this afternoon.
2396b2ccb23a882963cfe60919680751.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

rockface

Got an email with a tracking number from Microsoft.
Looks like it shipped on the 13th. ETA - EOD on the 15th

OP
convergent

convergent

Summarizing my experience with pre-ordering, I will never do it again. I pre-ordered an i5/8G/256G nSP on the first day available for pre-order, along with the new type cover. A week or so later I pre-ordered the new pen when it was available for pre-order. As June 15 came up, the pen and type cover shipped; but the nSP just said processing. I was charged for the full amount of both orders on my credit card. I never saw a change in the nSP... and June 15 came and went and no change. I tried to contact customer service but couldn't get the phone number to work.

I decided to just go purchase the same model at the Microsoft Store since it was now in stock, and planned to return the nSP when it showed up via online order. A few days later I got a fraud alert on my credit card for Microsoft Store. Odd, the original charge for nSP/type cover was no longer showing on my credit card account, and in the Microsoft Store it showed I had received a refund on the type cover. This was very odd. I then tried again and finally, after escalating, was able to talk to a manager about my experience; both with the order, and with the difficulty talking to a customer service rep. They canceled the order, and after a couple of days it shows canceled on their store system.

So end result was I got the new type cover for free, but the experience was one I don't want to repeat. Next time I'll just plan to buy in the store when its available; or order online from Best Buy or another retailer.